Baja Turbo spark plug change; how awful is it?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Baja Turbo spark plug change; how awful is it?

Post by bulwnkl »

So, I've heard that it's a nightmare to change the plugs on a Baja Turbo (we have an '05). I've heard everything from having to take out motor mounts and push the motor sideways to having to lift it up with a cherry picker or something. What's the deal here? Has anyone actually changed Baja turbo plugs? Is it really that nasty to do? Help?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Can't help you on that one, I have a n/a, and I have changed my plugs several times and it was no big deal to me. On the n/a, the passenger side is a breeze, on the drivers side, I just take the washer tank out of the way and can get to the plugs with no problem. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

Can't offer any advice about this one. Went back and forth about it here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1292731.
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Baja Turbo spark plug change; how awful is it?

Post by Subroo »

I am fresh from attempting a spark plug change on a 2006 baja turbo.
Let me tell you, I spent 5 hours /,one trip to auto parts store> and I changed the drivers side front plug.
I woke up today and started on the driver side rear plug... I cannot get the coil off. I'm done. I called a pro subby shop. Guy told me 100 percent they jack engine up a few inches to get past the frame, they charge $295 labor....what a shit design subaru!
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

It's not easy, but it's doable with the right tools.

Bendy socket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014 ... UTF8&psc=1
Bendy ratchet (I use the gear wrench one, but it's $$$ right now)
https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CRW10-R ... 00EXX2JMW/

Remove intake tract on passenger side (just as much as needed to get a clear shot)
Remove battery and possibly the washer fluid bottle (I do)

Unclip the plug then unscrew the coilpack bolt until the bolt spins freely. Rotate the coilpack the until you find the correct angle to pull straight then sideways out.

This takes about an hour from start to finish, with the hardest part finding the coilpack's correct angle to come out.

The H6's are worse, even less space to the frame rail and they have 2 more coils. :(
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
DocSemtex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DocSemtex »

Fun trick:
Cut 3/8” ID of thickish rubber tubing to 2.5”-3” long. After gapping, push your spark plug’s butt into the tube far enough to stay snug. Now you have a very flexible handle for your plug while you contort you wrist into painful positions (especially cylinder 4.) Shave off rubber if needed.

(Obviously, this is just to get the thread started and up to snug-ish.)
05BT5MT 128k sorta stock. Kinda.
06BT5MT “212k”; 8.5:1/E85/28psi; AWIC; RA1-4/LGT 5th; SureTrack LSDs; Haltech
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I don't know if this will help, but I'll throw it out there just in case it might. I had a 98 Forester with the 2.5 DOHC. It was a bear to change plugs (didn't have coil on plug though). I drilled holes through the frame rail box at each plug location so I could run a long extension through the frame and into the plug wells. No more hard to change plugs. There were already other holes through the frame boxes so structural integrity wasn't compromised. I like my SOHC engines better. Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

This is something specific to the Bajas and turbos. other models and engine's info doesn't apply. The NAs are a piece of cake to change the plugs: pull the battery and washer fluid tank and viola.

I wasn't able to find the magic angle to get the coil packs out with the engine in place so I unbolted one engine mount at a time (2 bolts) and used a jack to lift one side of the engine at a time. Once you get the plugs above the frame rail, it's a piece of cake.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

Cool hearing all the replies. Sounds like this is a real PITA.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Ben Staad wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:38 pm Cool hearing all the replies. Sounds like this is a real PITA.
Not at all. lifting the engine is 2 bolts on each side and a few inches of 2x2: doing it again would be a half hr job. All about perspective: to do plugs on an LT1 F-body requires an extra 3 elbows and arms the size of a toddler but 3 feet long. intake manifold? half covered by the lower windshield and cowl. On my T&C you have to pull the intake manifold, not hard but a bunch of little things. My old ranger had 8 plugs in a 4 banger and also required pulling the intake manifold only that one wasn't meant to be easy to work on. Focus alternator is behind and under the engine, also requires unbolting the engine but the mounts aren't easy to reach and the engine isn't a flattened box. Acura TSX(?) oil filter's 18" above the bottom of the engine bay, you have to reach up through a hole not much bigger than your hand then sideways 6" and unscrew the filter with your fingertips with the cat converter as one wall and the manifold as the ceiling. I can go on all day with much more poorly designed cars.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Most folks don't realize that vehicles today AREN'T made to be easy to work on. Engineers have no consideration for the mechanics. It's all about sales (bells and whistles) and profit (slap it together). I learned the secret man years back when one of the mechanics at the shop had an unpleasant job to do on an undercover Monte Carlo. He drained the cooling system, evacuated the A/C system, unhooked the electrical and a few other things and then raised the car and dropped the drive train cradle. That's the way they are built: put all the pieces on and put it in the body. It becomes worse when we, the consumers want "bigger and better". I remember back in the '70s when "we" wanted a V6 in the Ford Pintos (should have asked for built in fire suppression systems). A tune up required undoing a motor mount and jacking up the engine (sound familiar?). There are procedures on Ford trucks where the SOP is unbolting the cab and lifting it off the frame. No wonder I'm happy with my NA Baja :D Dennis
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

These days all of that does sound awful for me at least. I have arthritic hands, and while I like doing some work on my own, it has become problematic.

I remember my friends Nova (don't remember what year) that he had in high-school and it seemed liked everything was easy to get to. Heck even my 2004 Wrangler was easy to get to for most things. So stories like the above make me cringe a bit.

I'm not much of a mechanic either so that probably adds to my cringes. :lol:
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I changed the plugs on my ‘05 turbo Baja (I haven’t posted here in years). It was a pain. mike-tracy’s post covers it. Lifting the engine a bit probably would’ve made it easier.

Weaseling the coil packs out & back in isn’t that easy on a couple cylinders, nor is working out how to get the extension and socket in and out, but it’s do-able.

Good luck!