Blown head gasket at 20k

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

andaconda
Scoobytruck Lurker

Blown head gasket at 20k

Post by andaconda »

I'm venting I guess...
Noticed at 15k miles that my wifes '05 baja 2.5 non-turbo was using a little coolant -- added about a quart in two oil changes. Then at about 18k it puked out coolant from the over flow. At 20k it did it two more times within 500 miles. Took it to the dealership -- they said it was due to a bad radiator cap, and that caused it to over heat, in turn it took out the head gasket. I think it was the head gasket in the first place -- not the cap itself. I just hope they do BOTH head gaskets at the same time while they have everything apart. I also asked if they would change all the belts at the same time as a preventitive measure.
Boy this sucks -- we drive like grandparents (which we are.) I just hope this is not a sign of things to come.
We've had three NEW Subaru's in the past 18 months, traded in my '06 Legacy Sedan (best car I ever owned!) on a new Outback sedan that's on factory order. Love the dealership -- that's why we keep buying.
Sure glad for warranty!

Anybody else have this problem this soon on?

Wife -- 2005 Baja Sport
Husband -- 2007 Outback Sedan LE
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RickBaja06 »

I have had my drivers side headgasket start leaking at 22K miles on my 2006 non turbo baja. The dealer found the issue and was quick to repair it. I did start to notice a string smell of anti-freeze when walking past the front of the car but really thought nothing of it as the car was serviced by the dealer for every oil change. I have heard of this problem more and more and people are saying that the gaskets used are just junk. But the dealer will only replace it with the same factory part. I just traded the car in at 45K miles for a turbo model. Best of luck

Rick
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Ours is a turbo, so we're not susceptible like the naturally aspirated cars are. When they replace the HG, they'll use a newer revision of the part, which should take care of it. There are some extensive threads about this at the USMB and probably at NABISCO ...er, sorry, NASIOC.
BajaGermany
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaGermany »

My driverside HG started to leak a little oil at 25 Kmiles, they changed both (warranty) and now it seems to be fine until today (68 Kmiles).
I agree, stock gaskets are junk, but if they are replaced even with OEM-gaskets, it should be allright...
Regards,
Chris
Baja Sport MT with LPG
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I am up to 102,000 miles, and not a problem yet with head gaskets. I am keeping my fingers crossed though, since it seems to be a problem once and awhile.
Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
rbombard
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rbombard »

Already posted once till I found this discussion: 03 Baja here, head gasket issue to, to be replaced in 2 weeks. I found the problem with only 400 miles left on warranty! sounds like a real problem with these cars.
-Roger
Roger B.
Richmond, Vermont
Newscutter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Blown head gasket at 20k

Post by Newscutter »

I will post this a couple places --

I had a complete loss of coolant (unbeknownst to me) one fine day. Apparently the coolant had been leaking out slowly--- I recall just a few weeks prior I saw the level was low so I topped it off with normal Prestone. The leak worsened suddenly at some point and with wife and kids in the car on a really busy urban highway I nursed it as best I could (heat full on) to a safe stopping place. We "hopped" it home with breaks to cool down (not far). Over the next month I regularly had to top off the coolant every 3 days or so as the level visibly dropped-- but with no smoking, no puddles, no drivability issues. Finally one night I caught a faint mist coming from the driver's side head, as seen in a combination of headlight reflections and floodlights in my driveway. A trip to the dealer confirmed the gasket was leaking. Further work showed that both heads were warped and both would need machining, new gaskets.

So -- pretty standard story. Here's the tidbit that was new to me-- and maybe it's just dealer service department BS and maybe it isn't. The tech told me that there is a thicker viscousity coolant spec'd for the Subarus-- that the factory coolant isn't nearly as watery as normal coolant/water blends. He also referred to a "conditioner" that was added with each change/yearly in addition to the coolant being different as well. Their experience was that NOT all Subarus would have headgasket failures, but ALL Subarus that they have seen that HAD failures ALL were not using the factory coolant/conditioner. Additionally, most of those had RECENTLY had coolant changes (within weeks) to non-spec'd coolant (mine was the large amount I added a few weeks before the overheating episode).

Take that for what it is worth. For the costs, I'd recommend going back to the dealer (or getting Subaru coolant/conditioner) whenever you're due.

MCS

BTW-- I forget what the bill was--- it was somewhere around $1500-2000, but dealer knocked off a big portion as a courtesy. I think in the end it was $500-800ish, but I also had all the belts changed, etc. while they were in the neighborhood.
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

wow...

I am seeing a lot of "head gasket blown" posts on the different Subie message boards. Knock on wood, 100,000 and no problems on my NA.

As a preemptive maintenance, I will be doing the belts and water pump this spring/summer. I guess prior to tear down, I'll go over with a fine tooth comb. Its not like I can trade it in on a new Baja. Gotta make it last!
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Newscutter, I'm afraid your dealer was feeding you a horse trough of ...something distasteful. The Subaru coolant isn't anything particularly special, and it's most certainly not higher viscosity than 'regular' coolant. There is a conditioner that they add whenever they need to change coolant. It's also nothing very special; a variation of Bars-Leaks and similar products. It's added primarily because Subaru knows it had/has noticeable HG issues, and so it's a preemptive move in case the leaking starts (again).

I'm sorry your HG failed. Sounds like they got what they were looking for, though. Next time you need cooling system work (or just fluid), you'll be paying them for it instead of your local auto parts store. :wink:
Sixtwo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Sixtwo »

I'm wondering if I'm having the same problem...2005 Baja Turbo 5spd, about 47k on it, noticed a couple of months ago that the coolant overflow tank is constantly empty, so I've been refilling it diligently...now, for the past couple of weeks, coolant is dripping onto garage floor overnight and I'm constantly smelling it when the engine's hot...I have a 50k maintenance appt. coming up...guess I'll prepare for the worst...
Sixtwo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Sixtwo »

Phew....turns out it was a hose problem, the small S-shaped hose that runs from the coolant reserve tank to the turbo was leaking...