Trailer Harness - frustration level HIGH

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Trailer Harness - frustration level HIGH

Post by canuck37 »

OK, so I finally am getting around to wiring up the trailer lights on my 2003 Sport, after installing the hitch some time back. I figured why mess around with after market generic harness and went with Subaru OEM Part #L1010SS030, which is what several on-line part suppliers assured was the right harness for this year/model. It was way expensive, but then I thought it was worth the extra $$ to avoid the hassles.

When I got it last week, it came with a half dozen instruction sheets (none of which said it was for a Baja) including the following: 2005 and later Outback, 2003 and newer Forester; 2002 and later Impreza; 2005 Legacy;and 2002 and later Forester and Legacy Outback models. I thought this a bit odd, but then it was the right part # and so.....

Anyway, after fiddling around for awhile today underneath the Baja and finally figuring out how to get the plastic blank "plug" out of the vehicle end of the harness, I discovered that there is no way the male plug on the trailer harness will fit into the female plug on the vehicle harness.

Has anyone else used this harness successfully on their unit? I am wondering what's up, since the suppliers assure it is the correct harness. There is just no way for it to work.

If anyone has used OEM harness for their 03 (or even later) can you advise me the correct part # to request when I call these guys in the AM tomorrow and complain?!

Geez, life was a lot simpler 25 years ago......at least I think I remember it like that...........

Thanks,
Fraser
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

I do, we didn't install it yet, but the connections are right. There is a Baja specific harness. Also, the directions state that you can attach it to a bracket to keep it from hanging-that is a separate part. I am at work, so I don't have the part number-try calling a dealer and having them look it up in the book. We went in to have them look it up (not too far and we had to pick up something else I think), and I do recall that the listing was a little funky-they had to double check to make usre it was the right one (I think there are two ways parts are listed, and the one way made it look like it included the Baja in the one for the OB).
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

I'm in the same boat - if anyone gets part numbers post them here.
opimax1
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by opimax1 »

any update? I am looking for the easiest DIY version of wiring harness, money is a cost but not as much as PIA factor. I have a hidden hitch brand (think they made subies branded version???) anyway I have my $70 subie branded bike carirer in it (thank you ebay, cheap) but will be moving some time and will want to trailer my possesions from DC to NC...
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

buy the harness...

Post by canuck37 »

opimax1 wrote:any update? I am looking for the easiest DIY version of wiring harness, money is a cost but not as much as PIA factor. I have a hidden hitch brand (think they made subies branded version???) anyway I have my $70 subie branded bike carirer in it (thank you ebay, cheap) but will be moving some time and will want to trailer my possesions from DC to NC...
Take my word for it, what with the whole "switched ground" issue and everything else, just spend the $ on the factory rig like I wound up doing. It is SOOO easy to instal, just plug and play - done deal. Just my $0.02 worth....
opimax1
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by opimax1 »

thanks, the info i wanted and expected but great to hear a confirmation. Now how to find cheap...Do you have the part number?

Mark
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I used a convertor whose name I can't recall that I got from etrailer.com

Unfortunately, that item was DOA and for reasons of timing I just had U-Haul install their branded version of the exact same box. There's not much reason (for me, that is) to spend an extra $100 for Subaru's name on the thing.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

opimax1 wrote:thanks, the info i wanted and expected but great to hear a confirmation. Now how to find cheap...Do you have the part number?

Mark
I got mine from SubaruParts.com some time back. They need the VIN on your Baja to get the right part #, since there is apparently a couple of different ones and I got the wrong one the first time when I ordered it online. Contact: trish@subaruparts.com - she was great and handled everything including the return, etc.. Others may not want to spend the $ for OEM, but in the end, it is worth it if you value your time and mental energy at all. It was less than $100, but can't remember for sure how much it was. BTW, converters can cause problems with switched ground systems, so beware of trying that........good luck!