Maaco Paint Job? I want a bright Green or Purple Baja.

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Yellow is my favorite, but I wanted new so I went with Silver.

Man, I would NEVER want a dark green car (or black, or dark blue) it's too frickin' much work trying to keep it clean.

Give me bright colors that reflect sunlight and hide dirt!

My silver one is looking awesome, I might even wash it once before winter sets in. :wink:
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Dark Green owns all
But maybe i have a biased view.

Dark blue or green is really not that hard to keep clean. Black is quite a bit worse, but if youre that lazy you shouldn't leave the house anyway.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Hawk296 wrote:Dark Green owns all

Dark blue or green is really not that hard to keep clean. Black is quite a bit worse, but if youre that lazy you shouldn't leave the house anyway.
Respectfully

BS - my ex has a dark green Forrester and it is a BITCH to keep clean. :wink:
Hawk296 wrote:but if youre that lazy you shouldn't leave the house anyway.
:P well some of us would rather spend time with our family or doing other things than washing a freakin' car.

Heck, I wash my motorcycles AT LEAST once or twice a year.

Sometimes I even use pledge to give them that combination of lemony fresh smell and that "just almost waxed look."

:wink:
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Kev M wrote:
Hawk296 wrote:Dark Green owns all

Respectfully

BS - my ex has a dark green Forrester and it is a BITCH to keep clean. :wink:
Hawk296 wrote:but if youre that lazy you shouldn't leave the house anyway.
:P well some of us would rather spend time with our family or doing other things than washing a freakin' car.

Heck, I wash my motorcycles AT LEAST once or twice a year.

Sometimes I even use pledge to give them that combination of lemony fresh smell and that "just almost waxed look."

:wink:
Meh I wash mine every couple weeks and it does fine. What kind of bikes do you have??
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Hawk296 wrote: Meh I wash mine every couple weeks and it does fine. What kind of bikes do you have??
I find that with Silver you can go months without a wash and not notice ;)

Bikes? - current we've got a Harley (Jenn's) and a Moto Guzzi (Mine).

We were looking to add a third bike (either Buell or Ducati) when we changed our minds and bought a new cruck for me, but maybe next year we'll start looking at third bikes again. Especially if the Harley XR1200 see production for the US.

Kev
peiboy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by peiboy »

Dude - I bought Silver so I only need to wash it once or twice a YEAR - It always looks clean.

I am going to wash it tommorow so I can take some pics and post them (then I can wait until spring to wash it again)
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

hmmm... i have wanted to paint my baja as well, but I was thinking of one of the following: Subaru WRB, STX orange, or maybe a gold/copper/tinnish sort of color... I also like the color shifting ideas, but have no idea how much they cost. Probably not a good one for what I'm willing to pay. I've also thought of going darker, but the whole washing-every-day thing was a big deterrent to me. Any thoughts?
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
diderich
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by diderich »

I'm painting my old saab myself. I've only done the tub right now, I haven't even started on the body and I've spent $500 just on paint. I've done all the sanding, prepping, and masking myself. I expect to spend another $500-$1000 on supplies for the body...and it's a small car, with me doing the labor. You think you're going to be happy with a $400 paint job? Good luck. I don't have any experience with maaco, but expect orange peel, overspray, fisheyes, paint popping, maybe even cracking and peeling. Expect to have crooked masking lines and parts painted over that you didn't want painted over. And as was said earlier, your door jambs, hood, engine bay and anything else hard to get at aren't going to match. don't expect it to last as long as the factory finish either. And then when you get it repainted correctly, somebody is going to have to come and sand it to bare metal, because you're limited on the total thickness of paint you can have on the car, plus who knows the compatability of the maaco cheap paint with whatever you are putting over it.

You put a $400 paint job on a $3000 car to cover major blemishes, like a repaired body panel, or clear coat peeling. If you are putting paint on a $15000 car that you love, because you think you'll love it even more in green or blue or whatever, then pay to have the job done right. Otherwise you'll end up hating it, and you'll have a hell of a time selling it with a crappy paint job...why? because paint is expensive to fix.

Whew...sorry about that. I didn't mean to rant. There was a time that I didn't know any better, and looked into doing what you are talking about. I finally dropped it when I started visiting shops that were quoting $1000's for a paint job and talking quality with them. Bottom line, I don't think you are going to be happy with a cheap paint job, but if you are...go for it.

As for shifting colors, I think that cars painted in them look horribly gaudy. My opinion. However, if you like that stuff, I can suggest that you look into putting a stripe or graphic or something in the shifting colors. It cuts down on the cost and diminishes the bling to a digestible level.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

yes, im totally onboard with you get what you pay for. I have no intentions of getting a bad paint job, nor am i familiar with Maaco. or whatever. Just wondering about other peoples opinions on the subject. color shifting gaudy? i have definitely seen some ridiculous ones... i was thinking something more reserved, like wo different hues of the same color or something, not to flashy... sounding board... anyone know what a good paint job runs these days?
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
baja03
Scoobytruck Master

Post by baja03 »

I like the forest green the best but i would have to add the chrome or polished rims off the purple Baja. Way to go yall now i want to paint my Baja the color green that Hawk chose.
Atomis
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Atomis »

I agree with diderich I am about to paint my girlfriends 01 celica and well its rather ricer I just picked up the pink and black ppg paint and clearcoat and we are in about 300 i need to buy tape, cut, primer, bondo craploads of sandpaper and those are only the expendables I already have a gravity feed paint gun (400) and a extremly large compressor and all of the filtration associated with it (3000+) I plan on taking a week to do this and im not letting her rush me because artwork takes time and if you want it to look good add on to that there is going to be a design on the side.....

Be weary of anywhere that will paint your car in 1 day and you can have it back

1 day minimum should be spent prepping the car to paint

good luck either way man i just dont wanna see a subaru destroyed remember there are lines all over that car that need to be given attention