Performance mods for a Sport?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

alabaster_sinclaire
Scoobytruck Lurker

Performance mods for a Sport?

Post by alabaster_sinclaire »

I have an auto '06 Sport right now and I was wondering if it would be worth it to do any kind of performance mods on it. I don't have to money to pay gas for a Turbo model thats why I got the Sport. I'm happy enough with the power as is but I would like to get a little more out of it in the future when my warranty is up and I'm out of school. I'm just not sure if buying pulleys, an intake, and exhaust system would actually do much for an automatic.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

im not sure that the traditional bolt-ons will net much hp for an n/a car, i've only dealt with turbos, but my guess is that you will have to get pistons, heads, and cam to really make a difference, or you will have to add a turbo. take a look at the 2.5 RS owners, they are working from what you have, and see what they have done. good luck :)
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
alabaster_sinclaire
Scoobytruck Lurker

I know rallitek.com has a turbo kit thats supposed to fit on the baja but I dunno if it would be something reliable enough for a daily driven car.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

i still have my factory turbo and tmic, if you wanted to go for stock baja turbo, you could get them from me and you would still need a different exhaust (aka headers, uppipe, downpipe) and maybe a different throttle body and engine management. im not exactly sure how the n/a baja is put together, but it can't be much more than that...
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

You might need to get into new internals to add a turbo to an n/a model. I don't think the n/a has forged pistons, etc lke the turbo models. Plus it will void your warrantee.
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

As long as you don't go CRAZY with the boost it's ok.. we have high compression engines that can't handle High boost pressures with out braking.
4-6 psi sould give you 100 hp and the crank
alabaster_sinclaire
Scoobytruck Lurker

Yeah I sort of figured that it wouldn't be as simple as bolting a turbo kit right on it. I'll probably just work with what I have, seems like a lot of 2.5 rs owners have done enough that I could figure something out. Either way I have three years of warantee ahead of me, so I'll wait till thats up. Thanks for your help everyone.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

I would definatly advise against the turbo for your NA motor. They not only have weaker internals, but have higher compression and not to mention... a weaker block.

As far as the engine goes, anything for the RSs should work. So headers and things should work alright. Depending on the intake, it will probably fit as well. Get a hot set of cams and head work done (Cobb does this. You can get near turbo power levels off the NA engine, it just costs more, and possibly isnt as strong. It will definatly be more responsive though.