How to mount rear plate with license frame?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

How to mount rear plate with license frame?

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I know its a funny question, but as you all know the rear plate on a baja mounts on 4 black metal studs that come out of the swinging bracket.

Now... I just got my college alumni plate frame which I want to display. I dont want a sticker on the window as thats reserved (and already occupied) by my SWRT sticker.

So... how did those of you with thick frames mount em on the back? On the front the thickness of the plate and frame would be fine as I could get longer screws... on the back... well...

Do I just pop out the studs? Do I have to drill/dremel them out and then install some screws from the back?

Or am I a pioneer here?
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Well, the how-to article is gonna start.

I started it this morning...

What I did is dremel off the studs. Drill out the studs and then counterbore in from the back.

After the black paint dries (had to touch up the dremel marks) I am going to go and get some nice countersunk screws at the hardware store that will let me use the stock cap nuts.

When all is said and done I will get pictures of the final result and maybe explain the process in a bit more detail.
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Finished!

It looks totally factory, and I have my nice thick frame mounted on there. Pics and a write-up hopefully coming soon when I get some time.