Head gasket parts list

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Ferroplasm
Scoobytruck Lurker

Head gasket parts list

Post by Ferroplasm »

Does anyone have a parts list for everything required to do head gasket replacement on a 2006 turbo?
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Head gasket parts list

Post by greymud »

Remove the radiator cap, roll new Baja under cap, replace cap.
05 NA 5MT
joedavex
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Head gasket parts list

Post by joedavex »

Not sure if you've already gone ahead and done the job, it's been half a year.
I've done head gaskets a couple of times on the turbo Bajas and there's nothing out of the ordinary out side of the added complexity of the turbo engine.
You'll need a set of headgaskets, either the OEM or I've used Felpro MLM (multi layer metal) head gaskets.
A full gasket kit from ebay or such.
I've bought Felpro valve cover gaskets in addition to the gasket kit.
A timing belt kit with a decent water pump. I tend to lean towards the Gates kits from Rockauto. I assume you're going to do the timing belt and water pump while you're taking it apart.
I also bought a selection of silicon hose sizes. alot of the vacuum hoses end up being brittle and it's easier to just change them out.
Parts/bolts bins. I labeled the bins with where the nuts and bolts came from. Alot of them look the same. It also made it easier when reassembling because you go backwards through the bins and make sure you've used them before going to the next part.
I'd also recommend a camera and a tripod. I took plenty of pictures which I later referenced when putting things back together.
I remove the engine from the car, I don't know how anyone manages to get the heads off in situ, maybe I'm just not contortionist enough. Hence I recommend and engine hoist and engine stand.
I think that's about it.
Joe
Gray 05 Turbo AT
Silver 04 Turbo AT
Black 04 Turbo AT
and assorted other vehicles....