Bed topper

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

MNbuckshot
Scoobytruck Lurker

Bed topper

Post by MNbuckshot »

Okay so I've seen a few threads about different tonneau covers and truck toppers on here and I think I've got an idea about how I'm going to build a soft topper but I never see anything about mounting. Any ideas from the Baja vets? I'm trying to avoid drilling into the new truck (wife might kill me). So far the idea is a rigid frame probably wood or light metal tubing with either vinyl or canvas stretched over it.
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Bed topper

Post by greymud »

The snuglid uses existing bolts on the top or the bed liner - just longer bolts. It's a custom angle iron kind of thing out of thick sheet metal - I don't know the gauge.

There's a tutorial here somewhere on building a ozz bros clone that sits on the rails like the original penda cover.

For something like the ARE camper shell, plywood bed cover to mount to, something like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubaruBaja/com ... k_is_baja/
05 NA 5MT
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

greymud wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:31 am The snuglid uses existing bolts on the top or the bed liner - just longer bolts. It's a custom angle iron kind of thing out of thick sheet metal - I don't know the gauge.

There's a tutorial here somewhere on building a ozz bros clone that sits on the rails like the original penda cover.

For something like the ARE camper shell, plywood bed cover to mount to, something like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubaruBaja/com ... k_is_baja/
Actually, the SnugLid Mounting Rails are not made of angle iron. They are made of 1/8" plate steel!
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

MNbuckshot wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:57 pm Okay so I've seen a few threads about different tonneau covers and truck toppers on here and I think I've got an idea about how I'm going to build a soft topper but I never see anything about mounting. Any ideas from the Baja vets? I'm trying to avoid drilling into the new truck (wife might kill me). So far the idea is a rigid frame probably wood or light metal tubing with either vinyl or canvas stretched over it.
Here's a link to a thread I started about 4 years ago when I started to fabricate some missing parts for the used SnugLid I bought. Someone posted photos of original Baja SnugLid rails and I managed to use the photos and my own measurements to duplicate the two mounting rails.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3580
(ALSO SEE THE TWO ATTACHED PHOTOS!)
You might consider fabricating them for yourself if you can incorporate them into a cover of your own design. They don't involve drilling any extra holes into the plastic bed parts.
If you want to go that route let me know and I can possibly make a template with exact measurements that you could use to make your own mounting rails. You would need a template because it involves some freeform curves and just having measurements is not enough information to duplicate them!
I would be happy to make a template for you but it would take me some time and effort so please don't ask me for it unless you come up with a design for your cover and you're serious about actually making one. I don't mind helping out because I've gotten a lot of help on this forum for a few different things I've needed but I don't want to waste my efforts on a whim.
Let me know!
Attachments
ABCD (2).jpg
ABCD (2).jpg (87.99 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
ABCD (1).jpg
ABCD (1).jpg (92.53 KiB) Viewed 1094 times