Weird condition: (almost) stalling after fill ups

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Rok71
Scoobytruck Lurker

Weird condition: (almost) stalling after fill ups

Post by Rok71 »

The first time, I attributed it to a fluke. Then, when I noticed similar behavior again and again, always after fill ups, I now believe this is abnormal, but still very weird. Here is what is happening.

After filling my '06 Baja at gas station, the car idles very roughly. For a few minutes. Oscillating more wildly than usual. Almost stalling occasionally.

In fact one time I did manage it to stall, when I was a bit too aggressive on the gas pedal.

It is happening immediately after fill ups. Only when I fill up all the way to the max. If I put a little gas (not to the max), I don't observe the same behavior with rough idle.

The issue goes away by itself after I drive a little. It seems to me that it wants to stall immediately after I fill up the gas to the max. But after I drive a little, and gas level drops a little(?), the normal idle returns.

I did clean IACV, hoping this was the problem. Nope, still doing it after fill ups.

Anybody else experienced something similar with their Bajas?
2006 Baja Sport, 73K
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Weird condition: (almost) stalling after fill ups

Post by ZUBAJA »

Rok71 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:20 pmIt is happening immediately after fill ups. Only when I fill up all the way to the max.
I'm going to throw this out there. I was told to stop putting gas in as soon as it clicks. "don't go for a second or third click". I believe it is possible to put too much fuel in and some gets into the charcoal cannister, which is only supposed to have vapors. If that happens, it could be sucking raw gas into the intake.
While it's a DIFFERENT car, a friend did the extra clicks on his Hyundai and ruined the cannister (about 400.00 worth).
Next fill up stop at that first click and see if that makes a difference. Dennis
SupeRoo Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Weird condition: (almost) stalling after fill ups

Post by SupeRoo Baja »

Just tossing this out there; Fuel return line.

If the fuel return line is clogged/pinched/blocked then your engine will run rich, causing it to run rough when hot/at temp. Now, being that this happens only at top off fill-ups, the return line might have been pushed down into the tank too far, and when the fuel is full.. it covers the return line, which causes the line to be blocked. (not enuf fuel evap pressure to overcome static liquid pressure). Once you use a bit of fuel in the tank, level drops, line opens, no more rich condition.

Options: Don't fill up all the way is the fastest solution. Otherwise, crawl under, check the return lines.. worst case is you drop the tank I think.

Just a thought! Hope it helps some. :D