EJ255 question

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Mushu84
Scoobytruck Lurker

EJ255 question

Post by Mushu84 »

Hey all!

Quick question for for the forums. I have a 2005 Baja Turbo MT, and am trying to figure out if any EJ255 2.5l will work with it.

In my searches for a new motor, I've found that this motor from 2005 isn't the cheapest thing out there, but I've seen newer(2006+) going for $1k less. With my limited knowledge of differences in years regarding motors, I'm stumped, and haven't been able to find much info on the subject.

So to boil my question down, to slap a new motor in it, does it have to be specifically for the Baja, or can I get any EJ255 2.5l and have it bolt into everything just fine?
dease42
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: EJ255 question

Post by dease42 »

Yes.. and no.

The short blocks are almost identical, you can swap those in and out no issues. The manifolds did change over time, so many models you can get away with using the long block, but have to swap over the manifold, wiring harness, and a few other things.

If you've got to swap the ECU - it might work, but you're making it complicated, and I would suggest finding another motor.

I think any Baja engine from 2005-2006 will swap straight over. 04/05 Sti engines are also a direct swap (although they may have bigger turbo/IC, so some tuning may be required). 2005-2006 Legacy GT and Outback XT motors may work also, but again, some peripherals may need to get included.

It's not as hard as it sounds, but I would HIGHLY recommend using a reputable shop that has experience with Subaru's specifically. It's really down to the details.

To answer your specific issue: the motors in 07 on did change enough to require some ECU changes - not sure why they're cheaper, but that's probably why there's a difference

nasioc.com and legacygt.com are great resources also, since the engines are all the same.

Good luck! (full disclosure - shade-tree mechanic who's done a couple of swaps, not a subaru tech).
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

What if he swaps his intake manifold onto the new engine, and puts a block off plate where the air pump on the new engine went? Then the ecu wouldn't know any different.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
dease42
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dease42 »

Good call, it'd probably work. Depends on whether you get a CEL or not (might need some tuning help), but sure, it's possible.

I think there were some other minor changes between the years, so no promises, but that's the big one I can remember.
Mushu84
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Mushu84 »

Thanks guys!

I'm at best a wanna-be shade tree mechanic. The most I've done is swapped the engine in my Del Sol, and done bolt on upgrades.

This info is good, better than what I've been able to find with Google!