Transmission issues

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

JMWolfe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Transmission issues

Post by JMWolfe »

05 Turbo, automatic, new cv axels (the good ones), replaced the radiator recently and added 1 qt after fixing a leak at the cooling line.

Problem: The truck clunks and feels like it has a bad CV axel under acceleration. You can also feel the shake, kinda like a bent wheel. Lifted in the air, the left front slows quicker than the rest. no the brakes are not binding.

What do ya'll think?
Wheel bearing?
Diff bearing?

Why is the FWD fuse install/removal not applicable on turbo models?
I'll post videos of the issue while lifted and what I do to fix it. I hate threads that ask for help and never let you know what fixed the problem.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Transmission issues

Post by Guacamole »

Sounds like the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing to me. I've replaced all four of mine on my 06 now twice since I've owned it. If it gets really bad it will sound like your wheels are grinding themselves to bits.
You should also be able to hear a metal-on-metal grinding noise when it's spinning or when you put pressure on the wheel (i.e, turning).
JMWolfe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JMWolfe »

That's what I'm thinking. I'll have it videoed and torn down tomorrow. Thinking about putting an AWD switch in.We have some slick roads even in the summertime.
JMWolfe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JMWolfe »

Yup the bearing is bad. while i was inspecting everything I found the boot on the "awesome heavy-duty" cv axel was split and the cause of the vibration. These are less than a year old and i can't prove it. That sucks. I'll be pitting in the cheap lifetime warranty autozone version. when they bust at least i'll have a replacement.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

JMWolfe wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 pm Yup the bearing is bad. while i was inspecting everything I found the boot on the "awesome heavy-duty" cv axel was split and the cause of the vibration. These are less than a year old and i can't prove it. That sucks. I'll be pitting in the cheap lifetime warranty autozone version. when they bust at least i'll have a replacement.
Was it a TRQ-made axle? I had one blow out when I took a speed bump too fast on a turn.
JMWolfe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JMWolfe »

I can't recall the name on the box. On a whim, I did a search and contacted 1aauto. They had my order on file and are shipping me a replacement. Wow!!! The shaft is an extreme duty and is built better than factory. My boot had a small small hole and lost all the grease. Long high speed runs between Nashville and Jacksonville put the grease on the crossmember and trans oil filter. something I will be keeping a closer eye on. Can't say enough about 1aauto's customer service.
Attachments
IMG_3004.PNG
IMG_3004.PNG (649.02 KiB) Viewed 1553 times