Convert MPH -> KH/h and temp F -> Celsius

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Convert MPH -> KH/h and temp F -> Celsius

Post by JEM »

Dear All,

Could someone know how to wap mileage -> KM (Odometer) and temp to C° please ?
BaJa 2003 - 2.5
Huge thanks to all for help.
Kind regards. JEM
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Convert MPH -> KH/h and temp F -> Celsius

Post by mike-tracy »

Yes on the mileage and maybe on the temperature.
Look up G-ROM on facebook. I've had my JDM GC8 gauge cluster converted to mph, and my Baja's cluster converted so the tacho reads an H6 engine properly. G-ROM did a great job in both cases

facebook.com/GROMClusters/
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JEM »

Thank Mike-Tracy for you answer.
I will have a look. I would not have to manipulate the ECU or modify it if possible. I thought that it could have on the dashboard a switch, button or manipulation to do for this swap, like some others cars who comes from US and are exported to Europe. Why is this so complicated... ?
As we have here a lot of Subaru's in Switzerland.. maybe could I do a swap for testing with an Outback of the same year ? Could it works ? maybe then I will have the total of KM / Mi show from the replaced ECO and not from my Baja ?
Thank you.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

The units (kph and celsius, etc) are in the cluster and not in the ecu.

I don't know if an outback cluster would work, maybe?
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JEM »

Hi Mike,

Thank you. Do you mean the counters behind the steering wheel ? dashboard ? I will try to find one to replace. I've read somewhere that if you change the counters and not the ECU, the car won't start. They are "brothers". Right ?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

JEM wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:22 am Hi Mike,

Thank you. Do you mean the counters behind the steering wheel ? dashboard ? I will try to find one to replace. I've read somewhere that if you change the counters and not the ECU, the car won't start. They are "brothers". Right ?
It's an American term, "cluster" means the dashboard instrument panel:
You will probably need to have the panel reprogrammed to correctly play with the ECU, though I'm not an expert on electronics and I don't know if it's only on certain cars. I know Audis don't play nice when you swap the dash but no idea on Subarus. Also be aware that swapping the panel may be illegal in your country, though I'm not familiar with Switzerland or EU regs, but here in the States swapping the dash is a whole legal can of worms.

Anyways, the Baja is Gen-3 Legacy, so assuming the Euro Legacies/Outbacks have the same hardware as they do Stateside, you should be able to pull one from a 2000-2004.
JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JEM »

Hello Guacamole,
Thank you very much for your participation and for helping me on this subject. I just learned another new term, that's cool.
I've never heard anything in Switzerland about the cluster change. What I know is that every periodic visit (every 2-3 years) they record the kilometers in their database.
So I will seriously look for one to replace mine and see the result. I'll make a post on the forum as soon as I find one.
Thanks again, have a nice day. :-)
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

You will lose all the baja specific lights on the dash if you go with an outback cluster. I took one apart and checked, they don't exist on the outback.
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JEM »

OOoops... so.. return to "start".. and awaiting another solution... thank you for this info.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I believe you can change out specific gauges. I KNOW the speedometer can be removed separately from the rest of the panel. The odometer is mounted to the cluster, not the Speedometer. Here in Florida (USA) there is a place on the title for changing out speedometers (odometers). It's basically an affidavit stating last recorded mileage (old odometer) and installed mileage (replacement odometer). The title will then have the statement "Mileage not accurate" on it, which may hurt the value of the vehicle.
There are also places (legal places) where the odometer mileage can be set, like a good speedometer shop. There are also crooked ways to do it as a guy I used to work with had a "part time gig" going to a few car lots and resetting mileage (crooked #$%^&*) I always felt like ratting him out.
Now for the English to metric, the engine sensors might have to be changed too. I imagine anyone who has done a JDM engine install could add to this. Dennis
Speedometer back side
Speedometer back side
IMG_1184.JPG (132.16 KiB) Viewed 10854 times
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

The sensors are the same. You can replace the tach and speedo cluster, but there is a chip on the cluster's board that needs to be reprogrammed to convert between imperial and metric. This is the service that G-Rom performs. He can also set your cluster to whatever KM you need also.
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JEM »

Thank you all for all your help and suggestions... mmmh I don't know on which way I will go with this...
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

There is another option, though I don't know how realistic it is. They sold the Baja in South America where they use metric and celcius. If you could find the cluster from one of those....
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JEM »

Great idea, thank you... I didn't knew this... another option...