Bug Shield on a Turbo

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Atomic Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bug Shield on a Turbo

Post by Atomic Baja »

I've heard some people saying not to go with a bug shield on the turbo model. The parts guy at the dealership said that it would be fine. I'm wondering what kind of measurements (temp?) and where to determine if it does restrict airflow. Any ideas? Suggestions?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I have heard that it restricts air to the intercooler, so I guess thats the problem. If it actually does is another matter. I don't know how you could figure this one out at home in the garage, unless you had a temp sensor you could hook up to the intercooler to see what the temp is with and without the bug deflector. As many bugs as hit the windshield on my 03 n/a, I can't see it making that much of a difference. Of course, this is only my $.02 worth, I have no way of knowing. Mike
Baja Turbo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Baja Turbo »

Turbo model shield is suppose to be different design hugging the hood more so it won't affect air flow to the intercooler.
GOT BOOST
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

That would make sense, to have two different ones for the Baja, so it doesn't cause any probs. Thanks for the input on this one. Mike
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

i dont buy that bs, anything directing bugs away from your windshield will obviously direct air flow from your hood scoop. we dont have huge sti scoops, so give air every chance to cool off that tmic! if the amount of air entering the scoop had no bearing on performance/power, then no one would ever buy a front mounted intercooler. do yourself a favor, go clean the bugs off of your windshield and stay away from the bug deflectors.
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Atomic Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Bug Shield on a Turbo

Post by Atomic Baja »

Actually, I'm hoping it's more like a rock shield for the front of the hood. I don't know what it is about Northern New Mexico, but it seems like I pick up a new gravel ding on the front of the hood every time I take the car out.

I'm going to give the shield a try. I'm going to keep a close eye on performance after installation. I've also thought of a very low-tech way to test. I'm going to tape small ribbons in front and on top of the scoop. I will then drive the car around with and without the shield and observe the way the ribbons move. I'm also looking for a small, electronic wind speed indicator that I might be able to place inside the scoop.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

[smilie=confuzzled.gif] i understand about dings, i used to get them all the time too...
if youre just looking for paint protection, try something that wont interfere with air flow - - try 3m vinyl, you can get it a lot of places, it is (virtually) invisible and protects cars from rocks and whatever else comes your way, you can put it on your headlights and bumper too.
rockblocker.com has a kit made escpecially for the baja, it is a little pricey b/c it is cut to fit exactly : http://www.rockblocker.net/store/34594.htm
and here are some other options
http://www.ktrperformance.com/services/armorglove.htm#
http://www.levineautoparts.com/3mtape.html
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

I had the 3m protector stuff put on my vehicle, it was a bit costy, but it will be worth it in the long run. It cost a total of $385.00. A Zeibart company put it on for me. If your not right in front of the vehicle you can't tell its on. It is a lifetime warranty.

Fuzzy
Atomic Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Initial Results are in!!!

Post by Atomic Baja »

I haven't done anything really scientific, yet. I did go on a road trip and put the guard on halfway through. I was driving in 90 degree (F) weather both ways and guess what? The car was running cooler on the way back with the bug shield on and averaged 1 mile more per gallon (got 25.3 on the way back!). I know the intercooler scoop would not have anything directly related to engine temp, but it was something interesting to note.

Also, looking at this shield, it protrudes a bit farther away from the vehicle in the front then it does in the top. I think it might be possible that it actually deflects just as much are into the intercooler, if not more.

I hope to do something a little more conclusive within the next few weeks. Otherwise, I'm not noticing anything bad with it yet :)

Brian
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Brian, thanks for the "scientific" writeup on that. Its weird that it ran a bit cooler, since the bugshield has absolutly nothin to do with air goin through the radiator. I guess we will have to leave it to the "Brains" out there to figure this one out. Mike
BajaBear
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaBear »

2005 Turbo
Atlantic Pearl Blue