Stumped, rapid clicking when shifting into D1 or D2

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

ScooBaJah
Scoobytruck Lurker

Stumped, rapid clicking when shifting into D1 or D2

Post by ScooBaJah »

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo
Automatic w/ sport shift
150k miles

Ok, I've searched all over for an answer to a problem I've been having and can't seem to find a solid answer. I figure who better to know than other scooby owners?

So when my car is OFF, but with the key in the ON position, if I move my shifter lever to either D1 or D2, there's a loud and rapid clicking noise coming from around the center of the engine bay, towards the back, and will persist until I either shift into another gear, or turn the key back to off. This noise does not occur with the shifter lever in any other positions.

With the intercooler out, I can get closer to where I think the noise is coming from, and seems to be something electrical, like a solenoid either around or inside the transmission.

The noise doesn't affect driveability, ability to start the car, or shifting. It's just very annoying.

Anyone got any ideas on what I'm hearing?

Thanks a million!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Stumped, rapid clicking when shifting into D1 or D2

Post by Guacamole »

...why are you putting the car into gear when the engine is off in the first place? [smilie=givingittheeye.gif]
ScooBaJah
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ScooBaJah »

Because I was installing a new head unit and amp and needed the clearance from the shifter.
CScot1234
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by CScot1234 »

From what I have learned over the past years as a Subie owner, this seems to be a very common occurrence on the 4EAT's. If I remember correctly, there is a shift solenoid (or whatever the term that was used) that is attached to the shifter and tends to emit noise when in gear. My current Baja is the same setup and does this as well. Also, my Forester does the exact same thing and I agree that it is rather annoying lol. No quick fixes as far as I'm aware of.
05 Turbo AT, Black, 95k miles, Texas car in MI (not Flooded, I think...)
Also 04 Forester XS AT, 173k miles, MI car and shows
~Scot