Adding front window tweeters!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Adding front window tweeters!

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Does anyone know if the wiring for those small front window tweeters exists in Bajas that did not actually come with the tweeters? I was wondering if they could be installed without having to add any extra wiring in the doors or anywhere else.
Also, do they really add any noticeable improvement to sound system fidelity? Would they actually be an improvement when listening to music?
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Adding front window tweeters!

Post by ZUBAJA »

I just put them into my 03 a few weeks ago. The passenger side had the wires, but the plastic plug casing was missing. The driver side was plug and play. HOWEVER, after installing, I don't even know if they work. I can't hear anything coming from either one. I went and listened to the ones in my wife's 05 Forester, and can't hear anything there either. Maybe they're dog speakers :roll:. Dennis
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Thanks for responding!
OK! So it sounds like the wiring is there but the question is whether the wiring is actually connected to the radio/CD player.
Does anyone else know whether the wiring is actually connected?
moogle007
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moogle007 »

Hi,

I just completed install of mids and tweeters on my ‘03 Baja, which didn’t come with OEM tweeters. As such, I can speak to this topic.

The speaker wire from the head unit enters the door, goes to the OEM door speaker, then heads up to the tweeter. It’s a full range signal at that point, so watch out. You can destroy your tweeters if you don’t install one with a capacitor to remove the low end range. Key point here is if your door speakers are working, then your tweeters are also powered for sure.

I ebay’ed some oem tweeters, and they worked immediately, albeit with ancient crusty sound characteristics. I was hoping to reuse the housing grill, but my new tweeters were a tiny bit too big. I ended up mounting domes to the original blank triangle thing, with minimal drilling required. I also installed a crossover in the front door panel arm rest area, which split the signal to the tweeter and the mid “woofer.” Only one splice required, and it sounds fantastic.

Cheers!

Moogle007
Attachments
D99A3A8A-39E9-4A14-A95B-AF8FD5823508.jpeg
D99A3A8A-39E9-4A14-A95B-AF8FD5823508.jpeg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 20707 times
moogle007
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moogle007 »

I'm going to do a sound deadening project, and install some noico mats on the doors. Do you see the plastic layer in the photo above? It's stuck on with black silicone, which is still goopy, and super messy every time I take off the panels. My thinking is to remove the plastic, and stick and roll the sound deadening mats to the metal. I think the plastic may have been added by the previous owner, but can anyone else confirm that? Does your Baja have a plastic layer, like mine, and if so, is it glued on in a similar fashion?

Cheers,

Moogle007
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Almost ALL vehicles have the plastic 'vapor barrier" on the doors. It is bonded with a non setting tar like goo. Sound deadening material may be too thick. Dennis
moogle007
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moogle007 »

Okay, so I'll likely want to retain the vapor barrier. I don't think sound deadening would be effective if I put it on the plastic, so I may cut it away, add the mats, and then apply same or new plastic on top. Thank you for your help. I'll update the thread with the outcome I land on.