Disc brake rotors-Choosing new ones!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Disc brake rotors-Choosing new ones!

Post by SoobyToo58 »

2005 Baja Sport w/115K miles.
I'm looking to replace my front brake rotors. Just poking around online, it looks like the choices are endless. For example, on eBay there are sets available which include both rotors and ceramic pad sets starting at about $50.00 and the prices go up from there.
I take care of my Baja and I don't beat on it but I'm not what I would call a passive driver. I can be heavy footed sometimes! I don't do much highway driving but when I do I often drive at 75mph or thereabouts!
Do different rotors vary in quality? Are those differences really meaningful in any way as far as braking ability or life of the rotors? Do these differences warrant the wide differences in prices?
Do drilled and slotted rotors offer a meaningful advantage for a driver like me who doesn't really beat on his car?
Low price is very important to me BUT so is avoiding problems that a poor quality part may cause further down the road.
I'd like to hear from any of you guys that pay attention to this kind of stuff with your own vehicles and any mechanics that also pay attention to this type of thing.
Opinions are cool as well but I respect real experience the most!
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Disc brake rotors-Choosing new ones!

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't like slotted and or drilled rotors - the slotted ones went through my pads way faster than conventional rotors. Plus there was extra rust around the slots/holes. Most/all places won't resurface anything but blank discs.

Pads make probably the biggest difference in feel, I typically get conventional ceramic rear pads, and street pads from EBC, Hawk, stoptech or Carbotech for the fronts. My favorite of all those are the street grade EBC's. I'm sure more expensive rotors would last longer, but I'm getting several (like 3+) years from my pads with aggressive driving. I typically replace the pads and rotors together.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Disc brake rotors-Choosing new ones!

Post by kamesama980 »

I would get decent quality parts from an established brand from an established supplier (ebay and amazon are not established suppilers, they are intermediaries between sketchy temporary suppliers and you). If you have a problem with parts later on, you have little hope for support from the seller on ebay. They tend to be more comparable and less blowing hot air up the backside than ebay/amazon ads and a lot clearer what will and won't fit. Rockauto is my preferred supplier BTW.

Drilled and slotted rotors are of no benefit to most applications. Notice most serious racing series use blank rotors. Off-gassing and dust buildup are issues of ye olden days. More material = heat sinking and warpage resistance. Drilled holes are actually bad because it opens the grain of the iron and causes cracking. Cars with holey rotors from the factory the holes are actually cast in, not drilled after casting or are using materials far better than cast iron. Keep in mind that braking force comes down to friction and surface area. slots and holes = less surface area.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back