Windshield Deicer Relay and Timer Locations?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Shmitty
Scoobytruck Lurker

Windshield Deicer Relay and Timer Locations?

Post by Shmitty »

I have a 04 turbo. I've been driving myself crazy over the past few weeks trying to get my wiper deicer to work. I have the heating element in the glass and a fuse in the fuse box under my dash for it. however, when I bought the car there was no switch to turn the deicer on. I eventually found the plug for the switch taped to the climate controls wires. So I got on ebay and grabbed myself a switch, plugged it in and guess what? It wasn't that easy...
From what I've found it looks like a pretty simple circuit, a switch, a relay, and timer, and the element. It looks like I have the wiring for it, seeing as there was a OEM plug for the switch and a fuse. So now my question is, where the heck are the plugs for the relay and the timer?! (or where should they be at least) I've done alot of probing around under the drivers side dash and so far found nothing that reacts to the switch. I've seen in some models the relay and timer are on the passenger side.
I'm hoping to not have to tear my whole dash apart. Does anyone have an idea where the plugs for the relay and timer might be, or just the plug for the element in the windshield?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Windshield Deicer Relay and Timer Locations?

Post by Guacamole »

If your Baja is a US model it did not come with the deicer nor the wiring, those were Canada-exclusive along with heated mirrors. See this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3435&p=19179
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Someone probably replaced the windshield thinking they'd benefit from it and gave up when they didn't have the switch/wiring.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

I just bought an 02 OB for parts. I had to rip the whole dash out to trace the wires. What i found was the timer is in a big black box under the drivers side dash, mounted towards the side of the center with lots of wires going into it. The plug for the windshield is in the inside drivers side plastic windshield trim. There is 1 wire that goes down to the relay and 1 wire that goes to the timer. I havent taken my Baja apart to see if the black box timer is a plug and play.