Sub (second) fan

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Sub (second) fan

Post by oldpro »

In our 90+ degree weather I've had some cooling issues. Last one got me a new radiator. Yesterday at 96 degrees, still running hot. Had to turn off a/c which was blowing hot air to get engine temp back in OK range. I tried to duplicate the situation at home by blocking airflow through radiator, but couldn't. I never saw the 2nd fan come on. I checked the fuse for it and it was good. At what temp is that 2nd fan supposed to come on? And where is the sensor that controls the 2nd fan?
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Sub (second) fan

Post by oldpro »

Continuing to diagnose the overheat problem. Fan rotates easily; no binding. Fan is plugged in. Fuse good. I'm trying to pull the relay, but I need the secret handshake on getting the relay out of its socket. I can wiggle the little bugger, but it just won't pull out. :(
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I can't be much help here, but I did find this:
https://youtu.be/YElByNoAz90
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

He certainly did make that look easy, didn't he? Just grabbed and pulled them right out. Must be one of those "Practice makes perfect things." :D
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

He certainly did make that look easy, didn't he? Just grabbed and pulled them right out. Must be one of those "Practice makes perfect things." :D
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Having replaced DOZENS of these relays, I can tell you that sometimes they simply pop out, and sometimes you will pull the cover off the relay leaving the "guts" behind - then you grab it by the guts and replace it. For best results, when you do get it out, put a little dielectric grease in the slots before plugging it / the new one back in. Dennis
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

Finally got the little bugger out. Tried shorting across the terminals, and the sub fan didn't turn on. Tried a new relay. No dice. Looks like it'll have to go to my favorite independent guy for further diagnostics. I wonder why the stealership didn't check for proper fan operation after they replaced the radiator? Looks like they passed up an opportunity to make a couple of bucks.... :(
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

Which fan is not coming on? The driver's side or passenger side?

Scott
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

The main fan on the passenger side is working fine. It's the sub fan on the driver's side that's failed. I have an appointment with my favorite subie mechanic Tuesday for an oil change and fan fixing. He will have a replacement fan on hand in the shop that day. If his diagnosing shows it's NOT a bad fan, he will return that one. How's THAT for being prepared?
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

A few minutes spent diagnosing verified that the sub fan wasn't working. Slipped in the replacement and all is once again well in Oldpro's Bajaland :D
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

Glad to hear it was a quick fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk