Installing an Apexi boost gauge today...

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Gregmatic
Scoobytruck Lurker

Installing an Apexi boost gauge today...

Post by Gregmatic »

So I bought a pod from Ebay for a WRX but it nestles in the corner of the window & dash quite nicely. Had to remove the lower dsah cladding the get enough room to work under the dash. Also removed the A-pillar molding which leaves just enough room in the corner to pop the vacuum line out to the gauge for a very clean install. Just had to dremel out a little notch to clean it up. Tapped a fuse for the illumination and it is ready to rock. Haen't had a chance to drive it yet though, had to boogie to work right after that. :lol:
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Ide like to see pictures of how that WRX pod looks.
Gregmatic
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Gregmatic »

Haven't figured out how to yet, not real good at html and all that stuff. Email me and I'll send them to you.

But I can tell you that it fits very good, but not perfect. Looks stock too, matte black finish. I think I got it from Scoobygirl or something on ebay. Kind of a low production homemade piece that were available for some time but haven't seen any recently.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

There ya go, thanks for the pics. that guage pod actually fits in really well. Is it an a-pilar guages pod layed on its side? does it stay put withough rolling around?

Image[/img]

Gregmatic
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Gregmatic »

Thanks for upload Hawk. The tension of having wedged into the window and dash are holding it in right now, but I think I'll add a little 2 sided tape for security. Sits real tight though, no rattling or moving. A problem which I (unusually) had the foresight to see is that it has to be moved anually for my inspection sticker so I left enough slack in the vacuum hose and wiring to move 6" out of the way. I also wired in a switch in the coin box to turn off the illumination as it could be annoying on my 5 hour drives to Vermont.
Otherwise looks and works mint.

BTW: boost spikes to 12 psi in 3rd gear (AT) and pretty much stays around 10 psi the rest of the time. :shock: Even in autostick I couldn't get it to hold any higher. Anybody else have any varying numbers?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

11.6 psi max boost is the spec from subaru so that sounds about right.