No heat

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: No heat

Post by Guacamole »

tsmart wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:01 pm What would u call the whole thing, HVAC Controller?
Officially it's called the "Dash Control Unit", part #72311AE21A, but I just searched "Subaru Baja temperature control unit" and that's what popped up. Ones from the '00-'04 Legacies and Outbacks should fit too but will be black instead of silver. It's the same part but because of the color it's got a different part number.
walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by walfredo »

Hey tsmart, mine broke almost exactly where yours did. I drilled a new hole at the red dot (see attached pic). Your local pick and pull probably has a Legacy you can snag one from as well:
Inked20181212_150720_LI.jpg
Inked20181212_150720_LI.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
tsmart
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by tsmart »

Will that cable back out of molded stop or must i disconnect behind glove box? Cantget a drill on it till the whole thing is clear out. I just may have a shot at a new hole.
tsmart
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by tsmart »

Its fixed. Drilled the hole, removed cable below glove to get some slack.. Though I am certain I have full air and full heat, the dial knob wont go all the way on to the stop on the AC side. Its close. I think the reason is the new hole changed the linkage point a bit. To the right, (heat) it goes all the way..but Im happy. Thanks for your help. Saved a bunch. Happy wife.😁
walfredo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by walfredo »

Yeah you are probably sacrificing some of the min/max temp control due to the shorter "throw" of the control arm, but its free and it works.