raising the seats?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

raising the seats?

Post by cliffhanger »

im taking my baja to the performance shop tomorrow, gonna get the seats in the baja raised by about an inch b/c i want to fit a diamond amp underneath each one... has anyone done this or have any thoughts on this? im pretty sure they will have to fab brackets to raise the seats b/c one of the bolts that bolts the seat in is horizontal (right-rear on drivers side, left rear on passenger's), while the other three are vertical. how much should something like this cost?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

So cliffhanger, did the seat raising come out alright?? I missed a bunch of things as I have been busy and haven't been on here in over a week. All I know is if I did raise my seats, my head would be in the roof all the time. Mike
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

raising the seats went well. we got the extra inch no prob, and now i know what all of you were talking about when you said that head room could be increased... here are some pics:http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cliffhang ... pg&.src=ph
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Hmmm I think I would have done it differently. I installed some non-brat seats in my 82 brat and got to experiment a bit.

What I would have probably done in this case:

Keep the rails down low you will still have room between them (maybe it wouldnt be enough for the amp though??) Anyway then just use 1 inch spacers and longer bolts for the 4 bolts that hold the rails to the seat bottom. The floor bolts that you see would be unchanged.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

the rails were riveted in, not bolted, all i really wanted to do was raise the rails to fit the amp... i will have to look into that idea though, it might be okay if i leave the rails where they were, but im not sure.. thanks for the idea though! its a project for this week sometime ...
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Oh ya I forgot that some are rivoted in.... a drill, screw and locknut (with the nylon insert to keep it tight) would make short work of it though.

Just want to make sure its strong.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k