2005 Baja sqeaks

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

2005 Baja sqeaks

Post by beancountertx »

My 2005 Turbo Baja squeaks as I drive it, even worse when I go over a bump on road. Rides rough too. Had my mechanic look at it and he said it was he cross links. Is there another name for these? Trying to find out price for these, maybe aftermarket? Mechanic said there are six sets of two. Repair estimate at $787. for replacing four. Anyway of fixing squeaks other than replacing these? All the squeak I want to hear is clean.

Thanks,
Anna
You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Gandhi
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: 2005 Baja sqeaks

Post by Guacamole »

Your mechanic probably meant to say "sway bars". Usually the bushings in the sway bars lose lubricant and start to squeak. I had the same problem with my Baja when I first bought it, rear right suspension was squeaking when I drove over small bumps. The sway bar end link was loose & overall on its last legs. Replacement fixed the squeak.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Mechanic said there are six sets of two.
For the sway bar links, aren't there only two sets of two (one for each corner)?

My Baja just started squeaking when going over bumps, and especially bad over speed humps and going into driveways. For me, it appears to be suspension arm bushings... https://www.google.com/search?q=subaru+ ... s&tbm=isch At 357,000km, it's probably more surprising that they didn't give our sooner.

The parts themselves are relatively inexpensive, but the labour cost would likely be very high because the suspension needs to be disassembled to access them, and they need to be pressed in.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/suba ... shing,7532

If it is the sway bar links, those shouldn't be too expensive... Labour cost should be relatively low because it doesn't involve much (if any) disassembly to access them, and the parts are less than $20 each: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/suba ... +link,7580
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

From your description that it rides rough as well as squeaks, I'd include struts/mounts too. Never heard of "cross links" but "six sets of two" might be control arm bushings or control arms and sway bar links. Honestly it sounds like he's shotgunning all the bushings rather than identifying the actual cause BUT at the same time, all the bushings are likely the same age and the ones that don't squeak today probably will a week after replacing only some.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by beancountertx »

Thank you all for your input. Will need shocks as well for better ride.
You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Gandhi