Dying Baja

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Footie570
Scoobytruck Lurker

Dying Baja

Post by Footie570 »

So I have come to the painful conclusion that I got seriously ripped off when I bought my baja. The guy that I bought it from had tack welded angle iron and strips of sheet metal along the underside of my poor baja to cover up countless massive rust holes and then had the whole thing under coated to make it look good. I thought I was getting a steal when I bought it! Long story short, I somehow ended up rebuilding the engine in this thing so I've got a fantastic engine inside of a junk body. Anyone know which other subaru bodies my 03 ej25 engine and 5 speed manual transmission are compatible with? Especially if I could put it into a newer body that would have the newer electronic configurations? I am a broke college kid so unfortunately I can't afford another baja. :(
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Dying Baja

Post by w.rohr »

Footie570 wrote:So I have come to the painful conclusion that I got seriously ripped off when I bought my baja. The guy that I bought it from had tack welded angle iron and strips of sheet metal along the underside of my poor baja to cover up countless massive rust holes and then had the whole thing under coated to make it look good. I thought I was getting a steal when I bought it! Long story short, I somehow ended up rebuilding the engine in this thing so I've got a fantastic engine inside of a junk body. Anyone know which other subaru bodies my 03 ej25 engine and 5 speed manual transmission are compatible with? Especially if I could put it into a newer body that would have the newer electronic configurations? I am a broke college kid so unfortunately I can't afford another baja. :(
Does your colledge have an automotive program? If so you may be able to get some help with body work from them, sometimes they will even do for free or mats if it is part of a unit they teach. As far as the engine, I am no expert, but I think they are compatable with most subies (probably all depending on how much mod you want to do)
Footie570
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Dying Baja

Post by Footie570 »

Well, the baja is officially dead. I ripped the engine and transmission out of it and put them into an automatic 2003 legacy with a pretty good body. Did an AT to 5mt conversion too! Only problem I'm having is wiring up the speedometer. Anyone know how I'd go about that? How many speed sensors does the 5MT have?

Also... To honor my poor, deceased baja, I took off the emblem and I'm adding half of it to the legacy tag on the trunk, so it reads "Legaja." (Half legacy half baja)