Unknown part on rear view mirror

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

NevadaWolf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Unknown part on rear view mirror

Post by NevadaWolf »

Can someone help identify what this odd block is at the base of my mirror?

I tried looking up parts diagrams, but am only able to find what appear to be "normal" mirrors with nothing on the stalk. I'm not sure what phrase, or number, or voodoo charm I need to find the answer on Google that is more helpful than just a list of all the aftermarket rear view mirrors ever.

I did find another site that shows wires coming out of the box to the mirror, so thought it might be an auto dimming or compass equipped mirror, but the only images I can find are from the front and I can't see if they have this block.

I just got this '03 Baja Sport and am still learning about it, so thank you for any assistance!
KIMG0269.jpg
KIMG0269.jpg (759.99 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
KIMG0273.jpg
KIMG0273.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 7788 times
KIMG0274.jpg
KIMG0274.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 7788 times
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Unknown part on rear view mirror

Post by Guacamole »

It's a sensor unit for the auto-dimming mirror. Someone pulled the power to the unit & replaced your mirror with a standard one. Most likely the PO or whomever you purchased it from did that for whatever reason.
NevadaWolf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by NevadaWolf »

Cool! Thank you.

I'll poke around and see if I might have wires for the auto-dimming mirror hidden somewhere (suspect not, but never hurts to look). Be neat to have a fancy mirror vs the plain old one I have now. :)
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

If someone actually pulled the wires look up where the windshield meets the interior cloth on the roof, if there's a bump or a hole then yours used to have one. If there's no evidence then either the wires are hidden & tucked inside the lighting unit on the interior roof, were completely pulled, or your vehicle never had an auto-dimming mirror & someone replaced the mirror arm with one that is for the auto-dimming mirror, unless the box is removable then they pulled it from another subie & neglected to remove the sensor.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

I despise the auto-dimming mirror in my wifes Impreza. It dims when it shouldn't and won't dim when it should (with no way to manually force dimming). I just turn the whole mirror up to face the ceiling when I need to drive it at night. However, the compass is nice. Supposedly those same mirrors are available aftermarket with only a compass, which is the way to go IMO.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

^ It would be nice if it was a manually turn on function instead of automatically on. I robotically turn it off now every time I get in the car, even have to catch myself when I don't use the baja.
NevadaWolf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by NevadaWolf »

If I go the aftermarket route for just the compass, do those need power of some sort or is it an internal life time battery type deal?
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

I don't remember the mirror brand that Subaru used but the compass only mirrors used a blue fluorescent display for the illuminated compass readouts. Those displays aren't the most thrifty power-wise so I'm sure if it ran on batteries you'd be changing them regularly. Shop around, it should specify if it is hard wired or battery.
NevadaWolf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by NevadaWolf »

Thanks! :D
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

Mine came with factory windows tint in the back so my mirror has never dimmed, cars just can't put enough light in my car. Also my compass is only accurate 'you might be going this direction' level. The compass seems to work fine for a few days after calibrating then gets lazy.

Just my 2c on the situation
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

Never had to recalibrate the compass on the Impreza, it always seems to be right.
NevadaWolf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by NevadaWolf »

The auto dimming wouldn't work for me as the cap on the back has a really dark tint on the window. So it's permanently dim no matter what.

The compass would be a nice edition though, even if it is strictly for entertainment purposes.

(still need to look if there are/were wires....)