06 Baja - Airbag Fuse

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

06 Baja - Airbag Fuse

Post by sporter »

My owner's manual shows three fuses referring to airbag, if I remove one or all of them will it disable the passenger airbag? Due to the lack of discussion regarding the recalled airbag issue I am assuming that someone has figured a way around this problem other than the Subaru recommendation of "Do Not Carry A Passenger", I can't be the only one concerned about this, how about sharing a solution.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: 06 Baja - Airbag Fuse

Post by w.rohr »

Do not pull the fuse you will be at all kinds of legal risks. Call the closest Subaru dealer and tell them you either need an airbag or a loaner and they will have to give you a loaner. Also, magiclly you will be the first person to get a replacement airbag when one comes in.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Fuses don't power single airbags, they power the airbag system. Pull fuses and you'll lose the driver side too hence the legal issues.

As for the lack of conversation, might also be due to the low conversation rate here. I visit 1-2 times a week and read everything new in about 5 minutes.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sporter »

I wouldn't mind losing all my airbags as long as nothing else was affected. Thanks for the replies.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

Well I wouldn't remove the SRS fuse as it will also disable the seatbelt retractors which are a definate good thing in an accident. one option is to disconnect the gray connector under the passanger seat, this should just deactivate that airbag without messing up the system. Or what is done for ralley is to just open the dash and disconnect the airbag connector, airbag stuf is always yellow (so mechanics never touch it, lol). Keep in mind that doing this if you get in an accident the insurance company will have grounds to reduce or not pay on claims.