My super secret Baja project - 80% complete

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

My super secret Baja project - 80% complete

Post by jaxed »

Well, I haven't told many people about my super-secret Baja project because I wanted to get some of it done before I revealed it to the world. I got a lot done today!

The project? A light bar (ala Knight Rider's KITT) behind the grill. Yup, thats right - a flashing red "back and forth" light that I can control from the driver's seat.

My first thoughts were that I was going to have to remove the grill and cut into it to install these lights so that they would be seen from the outside. Fortunately, I was able to install the light bar without having to modify the grill at all, and the results are fab, IMHO. The light sit right behind the grill in front of the horns.

The shiny steel supports are from my old Erector set. They bolt to the bracket for the light bar, and to existing bolts near the radiator

I ran the cable for the light bar around the battery and fuse box... all the way up through an existing hole in the firewall. I found the hole in the firewall by plucking out a rubber grommet.

When the hood is closed:

The controller box is super cheese. Right now, I just have it laying out in the open and I am drawing power from the cig-lighter, but I will eventually move the controller box under the radio so that it is totally hidden and all wires are hidden. Before I do all that I will need to make the control box look a little better. Perhaps paint it black... but the cheese ball "Knight Rider" needs to go for sure.

At night, it looks pretty slick.

I will post a movie when I can make one.
blubaja03
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by blubaja03 »

"dewd"...I know you're the god around here, but some mods are too much for certain cars. j/k lol. It looks awsome as shit man...does it make the "whew whew' noise? Bc that would be hotttttt.

Frank X.
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

haha that movie is sick lmfao you know that no one else has shizz like that!! now you just have to figure out where to put cool guns an stuff, and make your baja come when you call! [smilie=hellyeah.gif]
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

That's awesome! I know a guy with a black 96' Legacy GT with the exact same knight rider light! Thats incredible.
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

Thanks to the massive blizzard, I managed find the time today to move the control box to the compartment under the radio. This means the device is totally hidden!

[smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
bajafresh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bajafresh »

Wow, now i completely feel unproductive. I just sat on my a$$ sunday because of the blizzard.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

A BLIZZARD, WHATS THAT???? WE DON'T GET NO SNOW IN APRIL HERE!! At least most of the time. The light job looks neat. Now the Baja needs that coating on the paint so it never gets damaged!! Mike
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

just dont let the local law enforcement see that you have it back there :shock:
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yah, cops don't like that stuff here, and would pull you over and give you a nice fine. Mike
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

Bah! You guys are wimps!

Actually, I don't plan on keeping that thing on all the time.. just for kicks, like when I am following somebody I know or something... I'm too much of a wuss to test the laws.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

WHATS THE MATTER, NO GUTS, NO GLORY!!!!!!!! We had too many @$$holes out here trying to play cop. We have women who don't wanna pull over for them sometimes. With all the crazies out there, I don't blame them. Mike