low oil on dip stick but no oil leak?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

low oil on dip stick but no oil leak?

Post by baybaja »

Hey guys I do my normal oil change every 3k miles but after a few days of driving I check my oil and it'll show low oil. I do not seem to have any signs of oil leaks. Wth is going on?
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: low oil on dip stick but no oil leak?

Post by kamesama980 »

Is this:
A one-time low reading after the oil change? Probably whomever filled the oil never started the engine to circulate the oil then top it off. add a little to get to the mark and find a new place to get the oil changed.

If it's that it's down on oil after every few days of driving it's being burned. Could be rings or valve stem seals, I've had engines do both. Have someone drive behind you after the cars good and warmed up: typically, smoke on hard acceleration is rings, smoke when you first hit the gas after sitting idling for a minute (IE stoplight) is valve stem seals.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
baybaja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baybaja »

I change my own oil and do circulate and top off to reach level. And I did notice smoke on hard acceleration when in 2nd gear.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

By the time you can notice the smoke while driving, it's been smoking a while and a lot more than you think. I remember from a previous car noticing a little puff while driving, later had someone else drive it and holy crap the smoke that came out.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
tonys123
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by tonys123 »

I've notice it says to add 4 liters or 4.25qt I found this isn't ever enough idk who wrote this in the manual but they are wrong ... it takes 5 qts and it is perfect ..
I know I leak and I burn oil but not a quart 10 secs after oil change lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk