P0011 code

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

P0011 code

Post by Zombaja »

so it's been over a year and my Baja is, after the first block failed, almost out of the shop.

We've got about 500 miles on the new block so far. Seems to run great except for every 2 heat cycles, I get the P0011 code.

We've removed and cleaned the sensors, and replaced the OCV valve. Error still comes back within 2 runs of the car.

Cam gears are new (heads were rebuilt for the first block and have less than 1500 miles), banjo bolt screens have been pulled.

We do have break in oil still in the car, gonna change that out for proper 5-30 today.

If that doesn't work, what's next? Mechanic is thinking maybe the wiring harness is damaged and is sending incorrect signals to the computer. But that sounds a bit "Hail Mary" to me.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: P0011 code

Post by Guacamole »

Are the camshafts timed correctly? Maybe check the belts to see if the timing belt is skipping teeth.
These may help:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1351219
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0011

Just pulled those from a quick search. The Nasioc thread sounds like what you have & there's a few solutions on it that may help. :D
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Re: P0011 code

Post by Zombaja »

yeah been digging thru the internet for over a week on this.

we've removed and cleaned the cam position sensors. Removed, cleaned and even replaced the bank 1 AVCS oil control valve. Made sure to use the recommended oil brands and weight.

so next its onto checking the timing. We hope the belt was installed with the AVCS being either advanced or retarded incorrectly- as I understand it there's no spring return and that AVCS advance and retard are pushed by oil pressure each way. So if the cam gear was over one way or the other, or somewhere in between, when timing was done, it seems that it would both seem to start, idle and run correctly but still be out of position as far as the cam position sensor is concerned?

the thing Im having a hard time finding today, is what position the cam should be in when setting timing.