Why no sound?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

sykemikeg
Scoobytruck Contributer

Why no sound?

Post by sykemikeg »

Loving this cruck. I've had it a little over a month now, and the factory radio was displaying that it works. Got power on LCD screen and lights even with radio stations, butt no sound out of speakers. I thought I would upgrade the radio (kenwood kdc799) ,installed it and still no sound. Anyone have suggestions? Going to install upgraded speakers in a couple of weeks but why no sound with factory speakers? Should I also consider rewiring the wires (inside dash and doors) for front and back speakers at the same time? Can anyone please shed some light on this for me please. I hope the new radio ain't broke from a speaker short.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Why no sound?

Post by Guacamole »

When I got my 06 two of the factory speakers were blown & one was missing. Check to see if they're actually there & if they're getting power before you go messing about with them. The door panels are easy to pull off, here's a guide: http://www.scoobytruck.com/pdf/Legacy_S ... pgrade.pdf (it's a Legacy guide but the parts are the same)
This video on testing speakers also may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpdKpnz8h64
If you get third-party speakers you might need an adapter. The OEM Subi speakers cost around $50 each for the front & $60 for the rear.
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

The speakers are most likely dead. For some reason the stock Baja speakers are really poorly made and just die for no reason. My Baja came with only one working speaker. Replacing the speakers with new ones should do the trick. It is very unlikely anything is wrong with your head unit. Your wiring is most likely fine also.
sykemikeg
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sykemikeg »

Thank you. The speakers was the answer. It's so awesome to have sound.