What brand?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

sykemikeg
Scoobytruck Contributer

What brand?

Post by sykemikeg »

This is a brand new 2.5 non turbo bone stock engine installed in this 2005 Baja Man trans. It's coming up on its first oil change and the shop guys put synthetic oil in it . Didn't tell me what brand. I've always been a castrol guy, but want to do this right and use what's best in the fluids. Any suggestions in brand of oil??, any suggestions on manual transmission oil?? A little bit of a pain to get into first., any suggestions on rear end oil?? Thank you for you help in advance.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: What brand?

Post by anarchy1024 »

sykemikeg wrote:This is a brand new 2.5 non turbo bone stock engine installed in this 2005 Baja Man trans. It's coming up on its first oil change and the shop guys put synthetic oil in it . Didn't tell me what brand. I've always been a castrol guy, but want to do this right and use what's best in the fluids. Any suggestions in brand of oil??, any suggestions on manual transmission oil?? A little bit of a pain to get into first., any suggestions on rear end oil?? Thank you for you help in advance.

Personally, I'm using Motul Gear 300 in the trans and rear diff, and Castrol GTX High Mileage (not the regular one) in the engine (it is a high mileage engine). Back when I got the Baja, Motul seemed to be among the best for Subaru transmissions; many people use Redline with other cars, but a few complained about synchro problems in Subarus (based on what I read on forums five years ago). I haven't tried anything else, so I can't really say.
sykemikeg
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sykemikeg »

Excellent, ThAnk you very much for the info. I live in Georgia where it's hot and very humid. Sir just wondering where your from. They make the motul oil also in a 75w-90 also as the 300. Wondering if climate makes a difference. Sounds like mogul oil will be my choice . Thank you.

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

sykemikeg wrote:Excellent, ThAnk you very much for the info. I live in Georgia where it's hot and very humid. Sir just wondering where your from. They make the motul oil also in a 75w-90 also as the 300. Wondering if climate makes a difference. Sounds like mogul oil will be my choice . Thank you.

Gear 300 is the product name, and is available in 75w90... the viscosity isn't 300. I'm using 75w90. I was in Ontario, Canada, and recently moved to California (cross-country trip with the Baja :D ).
sykemikeg
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sykemikeg »

Thank you.