Quick deceleration

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Jhantz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Quick deceleration

Post by Jhantz »

Just purchased a 2003 Baja standard transmission with 151k miles. Everything seems to be OK. One thing that is a little aggrevating is when I most times when let off the gas it decelerates rather quickly instead of coasting. With cruise control on you can feel the jerky movement as it maintains speed in hills. Never had a vehicle do this. Is this normal for a Baja, if not what do I look for. Did not pass inspection so I am changing the catalytic cnvertor but do not think this will help jerky.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Quick deceleration

Post by bajaguy »

Is the deceleration jerky with the clutch in? Cause with it in gear on a standard tranny you'll be fighting the engine when slowing down. My auto coasts fine. With cruise, when holding it down for deceleration it coasts nice. But yeah, the cruise is pretty bad in hills and likes to downshift before necessary.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I always turn my cruise control off when I come to an incline over 25 degrees, going up & down them. The cruise struggles to maintain speed on the hills & often makes the engine spool up to 3000rpm when I'm just going 50-60mph. I have noticed though when going over steep inclines, like the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, my Baja feels like it's dragging weight a little bit even with the cruise off. Mine's an 06 auto transmission Baja.

Some things I can suggest that may be related to your issue:

Axles- mine were replaced before I purchased it with 4 different aftermarket cheap axles that failed within a week & caused severe alignment issues. The mechanic I took it to (who worked at a licensed Subaru dealer) told me to only use Subaru axles, especially on the front tires as after markets aren't 100% compatible.

Tire Alignment- while getting my axles replaced I also did a tire alignment as the tires were worn on irregular areas. After the alignment the ride is so much smoother... but I just need new tires.

Transmission- I hope this isn't the problem but it doesn't hurt to check it, we are talking about a 12 year-old car that's been well used (I bought mine with 150k miles). Maybe a flush will help?

If you're 100% uncertain like I was when I first had Baja problems, take it to your nearest licensed Subaru dealer & have them take a look at it. Heck it may even just be a screw somewhere.

NOTE: I'm also new to Bajas & just offering my two cents as I had initial problems with vibrating & thought it was something completely different than the actual problem & know how you feel.
Jhantz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Jhantz »

With the clutch in it is fine. It is just the first initial deceleration when I let off the gas. Seems to abrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

When I first drove my Baja home after I bought it I had a similar issue. (Automatic) If I let my foot off the gas to coast on freeway speeds it seemed a little jerky. After taking it to the mechanic for an inspection I found out I needed a tranny fluid flush (among other various things). After the flush it's been much smoother.
Jhantz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Jhantz »

Thanks for the replies. Changed out the catalytic converter and it seemed to make a difference. Still get some seemingly rapid deceleration when letting off the gas at times but most of the time it is smooth now

Next issues to work on are two noises. Car rides really quiet but has a soft higher pitch whining noise when under motion that goes away as soon as the clutch is depressed

The other noise happens when turning sharply or hitting a rough bump. Sounds like the sounds you would get years ago when someone put rocks in your hubcaps. Do not have hubcaps so that is out

Any ideas?

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Interesting that the cat would make a difference... Maybe the engine was running in a conservative mode due to the malfunction? Was the ECU reset (battery disconnected)? Did you change your spark plugs/wires recently? Shouldn't affect deceleration, but could improve your hill climbing performance.

Does the first noise's pitch/loudness change in relation to the wheel speed, engine speed, or transmission speed?

Is the second sound like a scratching sound that changes in relation to vehicle speed and steering angle? In my car, one of the brake disc shields on the front was too close to the brake disc, so it would contact when turning. Solution was to bend it slightly away from the disc. Sound didn't happen when hitting a bump, though...
Jhantz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Jhantz »

Yes the battery, spark plugs and wires were recently changed.

I will check on the first noise and reply back. But I think it is transmission speed because it goes away as soon as I push in the clutch.

The second noise sounds like rocks in a rolling metal can.

Changed the catalytic converter because I had the converter efficiency code when I brought it to get inspected. Reset codes after changing converter and drove for 75 miles and converter efficiency code came back on. Has California emissions system so I used aftermarket Walker Cal-Cat from Advanced Auto. They are exchanging it with another to install.

During all this I noticed that the check engine light does not come on when you turn the key. Jeez

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Jhantz wrote:I will check on the first noise and reply back. But I think it is transmission speed because it goes away as soon as I push in the clutch.

If it goes away when pushing in the clutch, I don't think it'll be the transmission. When the clutch is in, it disconnects the transmission (input shaft) from the engine, but as long as it's still in gear, the transmission is connected to the wheels. Well, really, the output shaft and main gears are always connected to the wheels, even when it's in neutral; neutral disconnects the input shaft from gears. So, if you're still moving with the car still in gear, and pressing the clutch makes the sound go away, my vote isn't for the transmission...

Jhantz wrote:The second noise sounds like rocks in a rolling metal can.
I had some small stones somehow get behind the rim, between the rim and the brake rotor, in that small space at the center. No idea how they got in there, though... resolved the problem by removing the wheel, and the stones fell out.

Jhantz wrote:Changed the catalytic converter because I had the converter efficiency code when I brought it to get inspected. Reset codes after changing converter and drove for 75 miles and converter efficiency code came back on.
Code P0420? I had that... for me, it comes and goes. Could be the O2 sensor, cat, wiring, or something in between those. It just means the ECU thinks the catalytic converter efficiency is below a particular threshold, based on a comparison of the readings it gets from the upstream O2 sensor to the downstream O2 sensor. Therefore, if there's an electrical problem (corroded connectors, broken/loose wires, faulty/dirty O2 sensor), that code can be thrown, too. Or.... the catalytic converter really is bad, and needs to be replaced. For more info: http://www.p0420.com/
Jhantz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Jhantz »

Relaxed the catalytic converter with an exchange from walker. It seems to be working and passed inspection. The sound like rocks in a can went away after I ran the car through a car wash??? Found someone who will replaced the engine light LED if it is burnt out. Making progress.

rp2813
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rp2813 »

I'm having a similar problem with my 2003 5-speed (121K miles). It had its flywheel resurfaced and got a new clutch at 87K and catalytic converter at 77K. I've owned my Baja for about a month and I still can't figure out what the clutch wants from me. I've driven a '50 GMC 100 with a seriously unforgiving clutch for over 40 years and I never have a problem.

This Baja's clutch seems to have multiple personalities. Sometimes I can start of smooth as silk, other times it jerks and balks, even after each additional upward shift. I've always found clutches on Japanese vehicles to be easy to master even for new drivers with no manual transmission experience. What is it about the Baja that's giving me such a hard time? I have a feeling the "quick deceleration" issue could be attributed to whatever is causing the shifting problems.

Clutch fluid level is up where it should be. I haven't checked yet, but maybe the tranny oil needs to be topped off?

Also, I find that I have to depress the clutch pedal firmly against the floorboard to get the ignition switch to engage. Is this normal or is there an adjustment? I wear a size 13 shoe and sometimes I think I have the pedal down all the way when I don't. Combine this with killing the engine when the light turns green and a line of cars behind me, and it only makes an embarrassing situation worse.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

rp2813 wrote:I'm having a similar problem with my 2003 5-speed (121K miles). It had its flywheel resurfaced and got a new clutch at 87K and catalytic converter at 77K. I've owned my Baja for about a month and I still can't figure out what the clutch wants from me. I've driven a '50 GMC 100 with a seriously unforgiving clutch for over 40 years and I never have a problem.

This Baja's clutch seems to have multiple personalities. Sometimes I can start of smooth as silk, other times it jerks and balks, even after each additional upward shift.
Honestly, mine behaves the same way, and I'm not sure what does it; it's especially bad on the hills of San Francisco, where there's a stop sign in the middle of a steep up-hill. I've driven a new Mazda 3, old Nissan Sunny, Chevy Colorado, and large transport trucks, and none of the clutches feel the same as the Baja. (The 2016 Mazda 3's clutch is so light, it feels like it's broken... so weird for me.) I haven't driven any other Subarus, though.

rp2813 wrote:Clutch fluid level is up where it should be. I haven't checked yet, but maybe the tranny oil needs to be topped off?
I don't think it'll affect the clutch behaviour. I replaced my tranny fluid, and it still feels the same. I even replaced the clutch fluid recently, and no change.

rp2813 wrote:Also, I find that I have to depress the clutch pedal firmly against the floorboard to get the ignition switch to engage. Is this normal or is there an adjustment?
That's normal for mine. With the clutch pedal being so heavy, and it needing to be pushed right to the floor, my girlfriend can't even start the car. I'm guessing it's by design, because the clutch starts engaging just above the floor.
rp2813
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rp2813 »

Thanks for validating everything that's happening with mine.

The mention of the clutch engaging just above the floor is interesting. Sometimes it seems to behave that way, others it seems like it's not engaging until the last inch or so of travel.

If this is normal, I'll do my best to adapt to it. I did check the oil level in the transmission and it's up where it should be. The more I drive the car, the more I'll figure out how to accommodate the clutch.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Did you also check the level of the clutch fluid? These cars have hydraulic clutches, so you might also need to change the fluid or bleed the system, as you would the brakes.
rp2813
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by rp2813 »

Yes, as stated further up, the clutch fluid level is normal.

I would think that back at 87K when a new clutch set was installed, the fluid would have been renewed.