Fog Light Question

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Fog Light Question

Post by Killer B »

I have had my Baja for nearly a year now and the other day I encountered my first really foggy morning. I have never tried out my fog lights before then so I decided I wanted to turn them on since it was a foggy morning.

I had my headlights already on so I pressed the fog light button on the left side of the dash and no light came on the button indicating it being on. (the manual says the button should light up when on) I checked the fog lights themselves and they were also not turning on. My cargo lamp button and light works just fine, but the fog light button doesn't seem to be. Would this be a wiring problem (button wire not plugged in properly on the inside of the dash), a fuse problem, or are my fog light bulbs burnt out?

To me it seems more of a button power issue than a bulb issue but I wanted to see if any of you would know what's going on. Next time I need to get an oil change I'll have my mechanic investigate the issue, but any current ideas would be appreciated.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Fog Light Question

Post by bajaguy »

The fog lights won't turn on unless the headlights are on and the brights are off. If you had the brights on the button and lights won't light up.
randy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by randy »

Foglight switch should light up amber when press and headlight on(low beam). I would start by checking the fuse. With Blown Foglight bulb switch should still light up.
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

bajaguy wrote:The fog lights won't turn on unless the headlights are on and the brights are off. If you had the brights on the button and lights won't light up.
My brights were not on when I tried turning them on. Just my normal headlights so I think it might be what Randy said regarding the fuse. I was also thinking in my mind that even if the bulbs themselves were burnt out that the indicator light on the button would still light up when pressed. Thank you for the suggestions.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

The indicator bulb in the switch could be bad also as mine was when I bought it.....Now the chances of them all being bad are slim, but stranger things have happened
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

mikenmel08 wrote:The indicator bulb in the switch could be bad also as mine was when I bought it.....Now the chances of them all being bad are slim, but stranger things have happened
Hmm...that's possible. Mine could be bad but my fog lights are also not on when I went outside of the vehicle to check. I'll keep that in mind when talking to the mechanic in the future.
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

My other question is does the fog light have an indicator light that shows up on the dashboard like the cargo lamp does?
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Killer B wrote:My other question is does the fog light have an indicator light that shows up on the dashboard like the cargo lamp does?
Nope, Just the light in the switch
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

mikenmel08 wrote:
Killer B wrote:My other question is does the fog light have an indicator light that shows up on the dashboard like the cargo lamp does?
Nope, Just the light in the switch
Thanks for the info. :D