Computer question

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Computer question

Post by canuck37 »

So, while in having my passenger side front axle replaced recently, the mechanic asked if I had ever had the computer system software updated. My Baja is a 2003 NA non-turb0 with 87k miles. I've never knowingly had any computer work done on it, and there is nothing currently to indicate it is needed. Mechanic said it might be a good idea to have it looked at, as it could remedy things going on that are not noticeable at this stage, if any.

Question is, how necessary is it to have this done if there are no outward signs of problems? My mechanic doesn't do that work and I would have to go to the nearest Subie dealer, but that is a couple of hours away. Anyone ever have this issue come up?? I don't want to go looking for trouble or have to pay $$ not really necessary, but........
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Computer question

Post by bajaguy »

There's a shop near my house that specializes in automotive electrical systems. They have diagnosed a transmission problem for me and fixed it right. The stealership would definitely not be my first choice for diagnosis issues.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

bajaguy wrote:There's a shop near my house that specializes in automotive electrical systems. They have diagnosed a transmission problem for me and fixed it right. The stealership would definitely not be my first choice for diagnosis issues.
Could you say what your transmission problem was? My 03 Baja Auto has a very brutal downshift from fourth to third and I need to get it looked at. Don't want to pay for a lot of transmission work if it is an electrical problem.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Well my AAMCO transmissions shop diagnoses for free. Basically, my car wouldn't go into 2nd or 4th (auto). So there was a short that caused the transmission controller to fry. That caused a valve to launch out of the 2-4 valve body. so I had an electrical issue and mechanical issue but still, this was all due to the transmission range sensor circuit malfunction (for which the check engine light had been off-and-on for over a year). When I first saw the code the dealer sold me a $100 transmission range sensor saying it would fix my problem (they were too lazy or not knowledgeable enough to diagnose it correctly as a short in a wire) needless to say, fixing the short would have saved me $1500 had the dealer assessed it correctly. In short, get a few opinions before deciding to do something. I would look for shops that specialize in that stuff before heading to the dealer IMO.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

[/quote]
My 03 Baja Auto has a very brutal downshift from fourth to third and I need to get it looked at.[/quote]

I would change the Transmission fluid and filter first..... Cheapest place to start and I've seen that fix alot of problems........
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

mikenmel08 wrote:
My 03 Baja Auto has a very brutal downshift from fourth to third and I need to get it looked at.[/quote]

I would change the Transmission fluid and filter first..... Cheapest place to start and I've seen that fix alot of problems........[/quote]

yup, did that first, it smoothed out a tiny bit but the downshift is still far from right unless they all do it. It really slams during the 4-3 downshift but it's especially bad when cruise control is enabled.