stock radio/ speaker problem

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

tsmart
Scoobytruck Contributer

stock radio/ speaker problem

Post by tsmart »

I lost three of my speakers, all but front driver side...all on the same day. Nothing there. And I was not blasting the radio or anything like that. Is there some kind of fuse to these speakers? Or is the radio just shot. No speakers on CD or radio. Maybe a loose plug behind the radio?
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Re: stock radio/ speaker problem

Post by Rizzo »

It's strange but true.. our stock speakers really just die.

When I bought mine, I only had rear speakers. I replaced all four and they all work with no other repairs made.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Mine has the exact same pattern since I bought it 2 years ago, haven't been bothered to look into it.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Yup. I bought mine with only the front right working. Everything hooked up to new speakers worked great! I recommend Polk dxi650. They are great speakers for not too much.
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

I had the exact same issue when I bought my Baja. It came with only one working speaker on the front driver's side. I have replaced the speakers and got a new head unit but my rears still don't work and probably never will. Since I was on a budget I could not afford to replace the rear speakers.
thesavo
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by thesavo »

They die. Mine had a working front driver and intermittent rear passenger. I found a pair of pioneers in my basement from a Wal-Mart only combination kit. New in the front, and rotated the working driver front to back. Also the stock wires can be cannibalized from failed speakers. You need a T - 10 or T-15 bit. They come apart. The oem speakers use the same spade connectors. Transfer the wires and bracket to the new.

Sent from Tapa talk. Because SEO.
Using Tapatalk
johnep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by johnep »

Same thing here. The only speaker working when I bought it was the right front. I replaced them all and it's all good now.
KensAudio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by KensAudio »

I recall one or more of my speakers being intermittent years ago. Replaced all 4, and haven't had any issues since. Just a note: when swapping speakers between front and back, note that they're different impedance. Either 8 ohm for the front and 4 ohm for the rear, or the other way around. Didn't matter to me, since I replaced the head at the same time, but I don't know if the stock head is looking for more impedance than one might provide with 4 ohm speakers in the other zone.

best,
- K
Baja '03 Blk, non-turbo, M/T, OzzBros, Bed Extender, JVC, ScanGaugeII, Garmin
"Well, ya see, son, when a dune buggy, a jeep and a sedan really love each other..."