Sound from rear brake/rotor?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Sound from rear brake/rotor?

Post by SnowOwl »

Hey guys, when I apply the brakes and the car slows down enough that outside noise/vibration doesn't muffle the noise, I can hear what almost sounds like my rotors rubbing in metal, yet there is no grinding or shuddering when I apply the brakes. The only real clue there is an issue is if you pick up the sound. I haven't gone back there yet, but wanted to see if there was anything common or already known as to what this could be? It does seem my car doesn't slow down as efficiently as it should when I apply the brakes. It slows down minimally till I apply with more force then the brakes kick in hard in the front. The mechanic said the pads still had around 65% of the pad left but I highly doubt he looked in the back
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Sound from rear brake/rotor?

Post by mikenmel08 »

Do you know what kind of pads they are? Some pads are just garbage pads that make noise no matter what you do.....the cheaper variety also do not stop very well....
SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SnowOwl »

mikenmel08 wrote:Do you know what kind of pads they are? Some pads are just garbage pads that make noise no matter what you do.....the cheaper variety also do not stop very well....
possible. I just got it a couple weeks ago so I didn't install the passed so idk how good they. He didn't take the best care of everything except for the motor and body lol

Another possibility I was thinking was the cars pads are adjusting to the alignment after having needed the entire system realigned and probably wearing uneven
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

The brakes wouldn't be affected by the alignment....Just the tires....
SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SnowOwl »

mikenmel08 wrote:The brakes wouldn't be affected by the alignment....Just the tires....
Eh idk. I have a 4tunner whose alignment gets thrown off. When I take it down the mountain and I brake around turns, itll start to shudder when I brake next, like the alignment is off. Then on a straight away I'll apply the brakes slowly but consistently and it starts to get rid of the shuddering of the braking. iiidk lol