A different roof rack question...

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

A different roof rack question...

Post by sfeather11 »

Hi all,
I've been wondering this or a while, I think it might look cool if it exists. So I've got an ARE cap on my ride and was wondering if anyone knows of a rack I could use that would stretch from my cap up to my cab roof? I'm thinking a single, double length type rack??

Peace! [smilie=666.gif]
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Re: A different roof rack question...

Post by Rizzo »

Some racks have an extension piece. This fits in the middle of a two piece rack,it's just side pieces and no end so to speak.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ear%29.jpg

Problem is in your case there are no cross bars that far back on your ARE cap. This makes that side unsupported and useless.

Unless you go exoskeleton like the Jeep and Land Rover guys go. It's a roll bar style frame work that run outside the edges and corners of your truck.

sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Post by sfeather11 »

Ahh cool, I get the middle piece extension idea. That makes total sense and would work perfectly. I'll look around for a rack with extensions...

My cap actually does have crossbars. They are the round Yakima style, but getting brackets to hold a rack on will be easy. I think it was an option when the caps were ordered from ARE. A few years ago wen I found the cap on Craigslist. Someone on this forum (maybe NASIOC?) gave everyone a heads-up. I was soooo lucky It was only an hour away and the same color as my car!

Thanks for the response...
Peace!
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

sfeather11 wrote:Ahh cool, I get the middle piece extension idea. That makes total sense and would work perfectly. I'll look around for a rack with extensions...

My cap actually does have crossbars. They are the round Yakima style, but getting brackets to hold a rack on will be easy. I think it was an option when the caps were ordered from ARE. A few years ago wen I found the cap on Craigslist. Someone on this forum (maybe NASIOC?) gave everyone a heads-up. I was soooo lucky It was only an hour away and the same color as my car!

Thanks for the response...
Peace!

I have an ARE cap as well and solved this issue when using the Baja for my canoe. I installed a couple of aftermarket brackets on the cap that mimic an old style rain gutter. Then I found a couple of used Yakima A1 towers that were designed for these types of gutters, and the bars with them. Next I got 1 set of Yakima towers that attach to the factory Baja roof rails and 1 bar. Took off the factory roof rack crossbars and then installed the whole thing. The nice thing about this setup is that all the bits are removable (except the artificial gutter mounts on the cap) so I can remove it whenever I want. Also, I can mount the cap bar on either the forward clip or the rear one, and slide the one on the factory rails anywhere on along their length. This allows me to carry long/short loads, use my Thule rocket box or a basket, carry my cartop boat or canoe, etc..

These older Yakima towers are pretty common to find on Craigslist or wherever online and the bars are easy to find used too. The most expensive part was the Yakima mount for the Baja OEM roof rails. The cap clips are cheap. The whole thing might cost a couple hundred $ if you keep your eyes open for used bargains.
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Post by sfeather11 »

Wow, that sounds like that was a lot of work! Not necessary on mine though. I have 2 crossbars for the cap with quick-release towers. The cap has two rails on it (looks like they were installed by ARE) with the brackets for the quick release. I can loosen screws in each bracket and slide them forward or aft on the cap rail. I can take pics if you are interested. So, I have the flexibility to any of my rails forward or back (2 factory ones on the cab, 2 rails on the cap).

Peace!
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

I bought one off a suburban and cut it down to fit on my Baja.....

If you can find a full length one off a full size vehicle and just narrow it down to work for what you want...I cut about 10" out of the width and about 4' off the length...