Roof Basket Question

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Roof Basket Question

Post by canuck37 »

Does anyone have any experience with one of these Highland 1041900 U-Venture Steel Rooftop Cargo Basket? I’m curious as to how they fit and hold up over time.

Amazon has them for $93 which seems like a steal, if they are OK. There are a lot of positive reviews on there for them, for a variety of vehicles including some other Subie models, just curious how one would look on my Baja. I had a Yakima basket on there at one time, but it looked pretty wimpy and created a lot of wind noise.

Amazon.com: Highland 1041900 U-Venture Steel Rooftop Cargo Basket: AutomotiveAmazon.com: Highland 1041900 U-Venture Steel Rooftop Cargo Basket: Automotive
Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Roof Basket Question

Post by Takaaco »

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else." Mark Twain
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Rizzo »

Looks same to me.

Groovy.

How's it holding up ?
Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Takaaco »

Rizzo wrote:Looks same to me.

Groovy.

How's it holding up ?
where the 3 pieces connect together, there is a little bit of rust forming there. but im sure a quick shot of WD-40 will fix that...the only real issue is the wind noise. If you like riding around with the sunroof open you might wanna rethink mounting it.
"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else." Mark Twain
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

Takaaco wrote:
Rizzo wrote:Looks same to me.

Groovy.

How's it holding up ?
where the 3 pieces connect together, there is a little bit of rust forming there. but im sure a quick shot of WD-40 will fix that...the only real issue is the wind noise. If you like riding around with the sunroof open you might wanna rethink mounting it.

Yeah, I was talking to another guy on FB page about it and he had the same issues with rust forming. I am leaning more towards the Rolo rack, as it is only 2 pieces and looks a lot stronger and better built. It's also powder coated which will be a help with rust issues. Bit more $, but might be worth it in the end. I'm also a bit concerned about the fit, since it looks like the mounts are sitting pretty far out on the rail brackets....not sure if this is just how it is designed or the owner wanted them as far apart as possible. Still chewing on the whole thing.....
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

When I looked at the pics on this post, it looks to me like the brackets for attaching to the roof rails are installed upside down, with the bolts extending into the bed area, where they could damage stuff in the rack......I am not sure if this is the way it is designed or it was installed that way in order to get it to attach properly. I had another rack that installed with the bracket bolts and tightening nuts below the rack out of the way, hence my questions......Our roof racks have a pretty dramatic curve to them, so perhaps that is an issue with the fit. Comments?
Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Takaaco »

Only differance is the cross bars are too thin so I had to move the mounting blocks all the way out to the cross bar brackets (which the directions say not to do)

plus the threads on the U-bolt arent really long enough to stick into the cargo area.