Heat shield vibration??

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Heat shield vibration??

Post by canuck37 »

Hey all~
Noticed a slight vibration noise at certain low end RPMs in the past couple of months.....to me it sounds like a license plate vibrating against a steel bumper...obviously not the case on the Baja.

Anyway, had the mechanic try to track it down at last oil change and he said that the exhaust heat shield was probably the cause. He put on an extra clamp, which seems to have helped a bit, but it's still there at times. Just wondered if anyone else had heard of this issue, which according to him (Subaru guy) is pretty common on Subies. Apparently, most folks just live with it or remove the shield all together, which in my area is not a good idea due to high and dry grasses when going off road.

Comments?
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Heat shield vibration??

Post by Rizzo »

Two things Subaru has never gotten right...

Heat Shields and Cup Holders.
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Post by sfeather11 »

Yep, had the same issue. One of my cat heat shields busted loose at one of the screw mounting tabs. Ended up just bending the broken tab out of the way and the noise went away...
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

Nah, they solved the cup holder question:

"Hey honey, hold this."

Doesn't work so well with the heat shielding, though. All night long after the drive home, all you hear about is how bad the road rash is... 8)
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport