Coolant in oil...help please!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

mbrown1000
Scoobytruck Lurker

Coolant in oil...help please!

Post by mbrown1000 »

I have a 2005 Baja. Recently I replaced all of the spark plugs, removed and cleaned the injectors, and removed the intercooler to clean the throttle body. Also, before doing all of this, I Seafoamed the upper and added some to the gas and oil. This was all to correct intermittent misfires and very rough idle. Good news is idle and misfires are gone. Bad news is, after doing all of this I changed the oil and found that it had coolant in it. At first I suspected head gasket (as we all know Subaru's and head gasket issues) but, what confuses me is, there is no oil in the coolant, engine is not overheating, no bubbling back through the fill tank from combustion pressure, and absolutely no loss of power. Other weird thing is, when I drain the oil, after the diluted oil has run out, mostly coolant mixed with a bit of oil will continue to slowly drip out for hours. Even overnight! By the way, obviously it's the 2.5L turbo and it has around 130k miles on it. If anybody has any suggestions please help. As of now I'm a bit stumped and don't want to tear into the heads until I'm sure that's what it is. Is there anything I can check to be absolutely confident that it's the head gasket(s)?
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Coolant in oil...help please!

Post by tomato_88 »

How is the coolant level?
mbrown1000
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mbrown1000 »

tomato_88 wrote:How is the coolant level?
Actually staying pretty good. Another thing that bugs me. You'd think that if the head gasket was leaking between the water jacket and the oil return passages, that it would leak out more than it does. Unless the oil has enough pressure to hold it back most of the time.

Also oil never gets milky looking or anything. It just becomes very thin and you can see the green from the anti-freeze in it.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

My first thought was that you are seeing Seafoam in the oil. IOW, that you put in too much too fast via the intake, or too much in fuel or oil (or wherever it was put).

My second thought was that you got too much in too fast during intake treatment and blew the HG.

To check the HG, do a compression test and a leak-down test. Also look for bubbles in the coolant (pull rad cap and watch while engine is running. DO NOT DO THIS ON A HOT ENGINE; YOU'LL BURN YOURSELF VERY BADLY).
mbrown1000
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mbrown1000 »

bulwnkl wrote:My first thought was that you are seeing Seafoam in the oil. IOW, that you put in too much too fast via the intake, or too much in fuel or oil (or wherever it was put).

My second thought was that you got too much in too fast during intake treatment and blew the HG.

To check the HG, do a compression test and a leak-down test. Also look for bubbles in the coolant (pull rad cap and watch while engine is running. DO NOT DO THIS ON A HOT ENGINE; YOU'LL BURN YOURSELF VERY BADLY).
Yep, compression and leak down tests are probably next on the list. The thing that really still gets me is that there's no oil in the coolant. I even flushed it a couple of times with just distilled water and then drove it for a few days filled with just distilled water. When I drained the water, it had no hints at all of having oil in it. And the antifreeze that's in the oil is clean. I've seen cars with bad head gasket failure and the oil looks like thin chocolate milk. Mine still looks like perfectly colored oil with a slightly green tint to it. The whole thing is just really confusing me.