Taking off turbo altogether, is it possible?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

mboxes25
Scoobytruck Lurker

Taking off turbo altogether, is it possible?

Post by mboxes25 »

I own a 2005 baja with turbo. Love it dearly but have replaced the turbo 2 x's and the second one only lasted a month. I can't afford to replace it again but I'd still like to get my baja running again. Is it possible to replace the turbo so that it is no longer needed? New to working on my own vehicle and unfortunately I don't get to start with something simple so I could use all the help I can get. Thanks
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Taking off turbo altogether, is it possible?

Post by bulwnkl »

Two parts to my answer--

Part I: Something else is wrong. The turbos on these motors are durable, so if they're failing, the issue lies elsewhere. Look at things like--> 1) Plugged, kinked, or otherwise-restricted oil lines or screens/filters, 2) Low oil pressure (could be due to reason 1, or could be a worn oil pump, or other things), 3) Bad rebuild or 'almost-new' take-off turbo, 4) _Possibly_ (I don't think this is as likely) an up-pipe catalyst or something else internally that is shedding pieces into the turbo and destroying it. 5) Poor workmanship replacing the turbo.

Part II: You possibly can successfully remove the turbo and still have a functioning motor. However, the turbo Subies are very low-compression engines, so you'll have SUPER-low power output, plus you'll really want new computer programming. So, it would probably be simpler to just look for a non-turbo junkyard engine and wiring harness. Most folks want to go the other way, but I thought I recalled someone here having removed a turbo and still had a functioning engine. Not sure.