need 2" hitch receiver recommendation

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

etalmage
Scoobytruck Lurker

need 2" hitch receiver recommendation

Post by etalmage »

We recently bought a 2006 Baja with the intention of towing a Chalet Alpine or Arrowhead. Their dry weight is approx. 1400 lbs. Being quite naive, we purchased the stock Baja hitch and installed it, only to realize the receiver is too small. When we look up hitch receiver adapters, they say your towing capacity is reduced by 50%. Does there exist a hitch with a 2" receiver that will mount on the Baja? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Re: need 2" hitch receiver recommendation

Post by canuck37 »

etalmage wrote:We recently bought a 2006 Baja with the intention of towing a Chalet Alpine or Arrowhead. Their dry weight is approx. 1400 lbs. Being quite naive, we purchased the stock Baja hitch and installed it, only to realize the receiver is too small. When we look up hitch receiver adapters, they say your towing capacity is reduced by 50%. Does there exist a hitch with a 2" receiver that will mount on the Baja? If not, does anyone have any other suggestions?

I went through this exercise a number of years ago, and there was/is no 2" hitch made. Checked w/insurance company and since BAJA is not rated for such, if someone puts a custom made one on and has an accident, SOL on insurance. I suspect the same thing would apply to using an adapter....
theluckyone17
Scoobytruck Master

Post by theluckyone17 »

My Mudrat (John Bloom) bumper has a 2" hitch on it. He's got a few pics of others here: http://www.oregonoffroadsubaruclub.org/ ... index.html

Don't know what my insurance says about it. I don't expect to be hauling much at all with it, though. If I overload it and something happens, I probably deserve what's coming. If it's not overloaded, and my insurance company wants to nit pick, let 'em bring it on.
Onyx: 2006 Baja Sport
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

OP, can you please elaborate on what the issue is? The Baja will easily tow what you're wanting to tow. Is the trailer you want to tow set up for a ball hitch? If so, are you having trouble locating a ball of the correct diameter, with a sufficiently small shank?

I bet I/we could help you very quickly/easily, but I at least don't quite understand the problem.