Differential bearings, reduction gear

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Abe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Differential bearings, reduction gear

Post by Abe »

In March I started the research for differential repair, I had grinding in the front diff. I found owners/home mechanics havent actually done a 2005 Turbo A/T center/front differntial repair at least similar to the one I own. I read and seen a lot of images of front diffs with viscous couplers so when I opened mine it was nothing like what had been posted. Mine is an open diff. The job itself calls for a puller or something that you can use specifically for pulling the rear reduction gear. I found the best way to do it, after I bought a puller, was to disasssemble the differential pinion gears while in the carrier. To get a better idea I subscribed to the mitchell repair manual on line for 10.00 for 1 week and I was able to burn all the copies I needed. Bottom line, get the right manual for your specific vehicle. The bearing I replaced costed 32.00 through the dealership and I had it over night shipped to me for another 60.00, it was worth it because of the time I lost waiting for the wrong parts in the first place, only because I spoke to the wrong parts monkey in AZ. Hueberger Subaru in Colorado Springs was even kind enough to fax me a diagram of the assembly to ensure I had the right part. The estimated time for the work was 9 hours it took me about 12. Dealerships wont do the bearing work only a good skilled mechanic familiar with Subaru can help or you do what I did and do it youself. Im glad I did cause I learned the beauty of the engineering of Subaru and I cant count on anyone but myself. Runs great again! You can do it!
SPORT Abe
2005 Baja Turbo
Arizona
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Differential bearings, reduction gear

Post by Rizzo »

[smilie=666.gif]
11bangbang
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 11bangbang »

:?: So I have a grinding feeling on turns, a slight squeaking, and a tiny bit of play on the right side axel..... Does this sound kinda like the issue you were having? If so what else should I get to replace while I'm digging into this front diff? And is there any specialty tools I need to buy? Great post by the way this has already helped me a lot. :?:
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

You sure that's not just a wheel bearing?
Abe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Abe »

I'm positive it wasn't the wheel bearing, at that time, although the wheel bearings are next to be replaced. The front diff bearing was completely shot! I did both front axles before I went to the differential, now it runs and performs great. I also learned to use Mithchells DIY manuals for my number one source of information and repair book. 26.00 dollars for one year of use and it allows me to print everything I need, can't beat it. Thanks for your reply. P.S as this vehicle ages I'm finding I cant trust anyone else but myself and the contributors of this forum for trouble shooting and advise.
SPORT Abe
2005 Baja Turbo
Arizona
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Sorry, I was referring to the comment 11bangbang left.....you sounded like you had your situation handled, good job by the way.....
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

11bangbang, check CV joints first, then wheel bearing(s). Don't go looking at the diff until you've eliminated these two other, much more common failure points.
11bangbang
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 11bangbang »

yeah its def not wheel bearings i think im gonna do the axels and see if that helps but im pretty positive that its in the front dif i just dont know exactly whats broken :(
mowillie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mowillie »

I am a little lost as to what Abe replaced. I thought that the Subaru Viscus Coupling was a sealed unit. Maybe he wasnt replacing something in the VC.
Several things can create similar symptoms. I finally ruled my as a bad center diff. or Viscus Coupling. It would not start making the clunk until the car was warmed up to normal operating temperature. I had only 61,000 miles. If it was CV joints or bearing, I think it would do it even if the car was cold, like in tight turning.
Finally I got out of the PO that he had driven about 10 miles slowly on a flat tire. That change in geometry of the flat can mess up the AWD which in turn destroys the center diff. Thats why they say when replacing tires, never replace just one or two, replace them all. Also dont do donuts in a parking lots. or dont drive with the small spare on the vehicle for very long. I am not a mechanic, but this is how I understand some of the dos and donts of the center diff. I am sure there are some folks on here with much more knowledge than myself.
You can also google 'Subaru Front End Clunk'