Towing a camper

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

anesthesiachris
Scoobytruck Lurker

Towing a camper

Post by anesthesiachris »

Would I be okay towing an 1800 pound pop up camper with my 2003 Baja I'm not looking to go far, maybe 3-4 hours away max. But it could be pretty hilly at times. Are there any precautions I can take to make it easier on my Baja. It is a five speed with about 130,000 on it, otherwise no issues at all.
mowillie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Towing a camper

Post by mowillie »

I probably would not. just my two cents.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

mowillie wrote:I probably would not. just my two cents.
Ditto - not worth the risk, especially on the hills. ANother $0.02!
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

The Baja is factory-rated to tow more than that. You need trailer brakes both by law and because it's just good sense for a trailer of that weight. You'll probably want electric brakes rather than 'surge' brakes, just because many times 'surge' brakes are not designed to let you easily lock them oit for backing your trailer up.

I towed a ~2,500-lb camper with my '05 turbo up to the Divide regularly when we lived in Idaho. I have a U-Haul brake controller and hitch on it. It works very well, though your non-turbo won't be able to pull a trailer as smartly as a turbo. OTOH, you shouldn't have the heating problems the turbos sometimes do (the total radiator size/capacity just isn't sufficient on the turbo Baja, IME).

Do what you like, but your truck was made and marketed to do exactly what you're asking about. Just make sure the trailer has brakes and that they're adjusted and working properly when you're hooked up to the Baja.