Tonneau Cover, what am I missing?????

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Tonneau Cover, what am I missing?????

Post by mbaksic »

Ok guys and gals, I am trying to add a bow to my 03 Baja tonneau cover. I have a bow, it is for an 04 Baja. There is nothing to attach it to!!!! It seems that 03s did not come with a bow, and water collects on my cover really bad. So, I thought what the heck, just put one in. I need to know what parts attach this thing to the bed. Can anyone post pics of theirs so I can see what I need to get for mine.  Thanks.   Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Tonneau Cover, what am I missing?????

Post by cyphergirl »

The '03 came with the bow attached to the vinyl cover itself.  I have one, and it SUCKS.  The bow constantly flips over and then water pools, etc.  Worst $390 that I've ever spent.<br><br>I'm looking for a way to make a bracket of some-sort to rest the bow in.  Any ideas?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I have to agree that the soft cover sucks, but it came on it, and is better than nothin at all. I bought mine Baja used, and it didn't have a bow attached to the inside of the cover at all. Maybe I have a very early production model. There doesn't even seem to be a place to attach one. I don't mind the water collecting, as it runs off as soon as you move the Baja, but if you have to get into the bed when shopping, all of the water runs inside the box when you try to lift the cover. And when we had a rainy nite a few weeks ago, and then it got colder overnite, I had a 4 inch deep ice skating rink on the cover. I was afraid that the weight of the ice would pull out the stitching.  :( I am working on seeing what I have to do to get this mess figured out, if I make any headway, I will post the info.     Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

[quote author=mbaksic link=board=tech;num=1107228904;start=0#2 date=02/01/05 at 19:30:19]I have to agree that the soft cover sucks, but it came on it, and is better than nothin at all. I bought mine Baja used, and it didn't have a bow attached to the inside of the cover at all. Maybe I have a very early production model. There doesn't even seem to be a place to attach one. [/quote]<br><br>Very odd.  On mine, there is a nylon strap that goes from one side of the underside of the cover to the other, at about the halfway mark.  The strap goes through the bow.  Do you see any evidence that the strap was cut off by the previous owner?  The bow flips over and wears away at the strap on mine .. maybe the previous owner got annoyed and cut the whole thing off.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

[quote author=cyphergirl link=board=tech;num=1107228904;start=0#3 date=02/01/05 at 19:36:04]<br><br>Very odd.  On mine, there is a nylon strap that goes from one side of the underside of the cover to the other, at about the halfway mark.  The strap goes through the bow.  Do you see any evidence that the strap was cut off by the previous owner?  The bow flips over and wears away at the strap on mine .. maybe the previous owner got annoyed and cut the whole thing off.[/quote]<br><br><br>No, I don't see any evidence of a strap on the cover. Maybe the  previous owner did remove all of it. But it doesn't look like anything has been removed.   Mike
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Ok, still have not heard from the parts guy on my bow situation. Can someone with an 04 post a pic of what the bow is suppose to look like??? If I can print it off, it might help out. It looks like there should be a bracket that fits on each side of the bed to hold this sucker up. HELP!!!   Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

I can show you the bow of my '03, but I don't know if that will help you.  Lemme know, and I'll take a couple of pics.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Thanks cyphergirl. Yes, post a few, at least I will know what mine is suppose to look like. Maybe mine was one of the first built, and didn't have one. I still want to add one though.    Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

No problem -- I've gotta run (meeting with a bride and groom whose wedding I'm shooting in two weeks).  I'll post some pictures up when I get home.<br><br>BTW, your avatar pic is HUGE... it's messing with the page format.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yes, the pic was HUGE,  jaXed fixed it for me, again.
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

BTW, I'll get that pic (rib) tonight.  I got bigtime busy this weekend trying to get stuff done for this wedding that I'm shooting in two weeks.   :o
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Ok, and thanks. At least I can see what I'm missing for an 03.  Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

Ok, here are four shots of the underside of my cover:<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image<br><br>Image
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Thanks, the bow is exactly what I have. ;D But I don't seem to have the side straps.  :'(I'll have to take another look. If I don't have the straps, I guess I will return the bow, as it isn't usable without the end pieces. Then I will have to figure out something else. Many thanks for the pics, I really appreciate this.   Mike
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

There's a guy on the other forum, that made some sort of bracket to hold the bow -- he used the center screws on the bed to hold the bracket on.  I'll ping him when he comes on AIM next time and see if he's gotpictures yet.  I was thinking of making something similar for my bow to sit in, to keep it upright.<br><br>