first oil change

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

first oil change

Post by jaxed »

Well, it was a nice day so I decided to do my first  oil change at 2,607 miles -- even though the manual says 3,000...  Boy am I glad I did!  The oil was way gross.  Dark and thin.  Ugh.<br><br>I am going to have to perfect my oil change technique with the Baja - I am not used to a car so high up (as well as the filter straight up and down).. I made a mess.   Splash city...  <br><br>I am just going with 5w-30 dino oil for now...  
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: first oil change

Post by holland_patrick »

i did mine at 1000 then switched to Mobil 1 at 4000  i feel good now
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

Did you fill your filter or just put it on dry? I fill mine every time i change the filter.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yes, if you do it in the garage on ramps, it will make a mess.  :'(I change my oil every 2,000 to 2,200 miles and have always used dino oil. The only thing I use synthetic in is my atv. I never fill the filter, just screw it on and let it fill when the engine starts. The engine doesn't seem to mind it at all.  Have done it like that for years, and always got lots of miles out of my cars.   Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

[quote author=Baja_Turbo link=board=tech;num=1109013146;start=0#2 date=02/21/05 at 19:25:31]Did you fill your filter or just put it on dry? I fill mine every time i change the filter.[/quote]<br><br>Hmm.. I didn't fill the filter - and haven't in any of the vehicles I change oil in.<br>
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Filling the filter is suppose to help the engine, so it doesn't inhale a slug of air when you start it up. I never have done it, and have never had any problems.  Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.