This new Scooby owner needs your advice

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

mgerardt
Scoobytruck Lurker

This new Scooby owner needs your advice

Post by mgerardt »

I'm the proud new owner of a blue 2005 Baja Turbo (automatic trans w/137K and aesthetically pretty clean beyond wear and tear on the driver's seat).

Details about my Baja purchase:
I spent months looking for a Baja when my used car buying research identified it as a top contender in the market. Plus I just dig them (quirky, meet quirky). I bought mine this week from a mechanic with dealer plates who bought @ auction (green light). Seller replaced the timing belt and flushed all fluids before listing. For what it's worth, I spent a fair amount of time with seller and he seems trustworthy + shares my philosophy on karma, both good & bad. I have his word that he will fix any issues I find (e.g. free labor) if I buy the parts.

Concerns:
I took my Scooby to a dealer/servicer in Brooklyn for a once over and was alarmed when they told me all the problems they claim must be fixed before I drive to Norfolk, VA (my new home). I suspect they over exaggerated, but I'm not schooled on the mechanics of the vehicle and hope to get some help from this fine group. Here are the issues they say need to be fixed/replaced along with their estimates for the parts/labor in USD$:

1) new Engine Cross Member due to wear on passenger side -- 399 / 245
2) replace Tie Rod End (front passenger side) -- 243 / 196
3) replace all 4 Struts -- 559 / 392
4) Rear Suspension Trailing Links & Bushings -- 402 / 392 (more if difficult to remove)
5) Turbo Leak -- 315
6) Alignment -- 100

From my perspective, I wanted a Baja and of course I realized a used car will have issues. I didn't expect > 3K of issues however. I discussed with seller and he thinks dealer/servicer is just executing on their business model. I saw the Cross Member degeneration while it was up on the rack and did notice a slight knocking when steering wheel is at far end of radius and so feel anxious about that specific issue, but the seller thinks it's ridiculous. He agreed to look at it and do any needed welding to strengthen it. I think the turbo leak is an unfounded claim. All the other issues…I have no idea if they need to be done immediately or over the course of say the next year. The car drives nicely, and I am already infatuated. I don't want to lay out any more money than is absolutely necessary right now unless it's clear that doing all this work now will help me keep Scooby healthy & happy for years to come. Obviously, my safety is of utmost concern so any and all replies about the cross member issue and tie rod end are particularly welcome and the sooner the better.

Thanks in advance for sharing your insights. I look forward to reciprocating/paying it forward.
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Re: This new Scooby owner needs your advice

Post by hocrest »

It's hard to say without seeing the Baja, but from the sounds of it I would stay FAR away from the dealer. Unless the car was abused and driven through salt puddles and never washed, I doubt it is as bad as they say. The struts I can believe if they are original. The turbo leak can happen at any time. Possibly the tie rod?? but that price seems like they are replacing all 4 ends, not just the bad one?

What is the "Crossmember Degeneration"?? Other than in the case of an accident, I have never seen a bad Subaru crossmember?
mgerardt
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mgerardt »

Thanks for the quick reply, Scooby Master!

When mechanic at dealer walked me through the issues, he suggested the crossmember was not structurally sound and could give way if i drove over a large enough bump (seller's retort to that statement was "you'd have to drive into an elephant at high speed" to bust the crossmember). Mechanic at dealer also said that since it holds the engine in place I should definitely have it fixed immediately and that the instability of the crossmember could lead to failure of the tie rod end on the passenger side. Made me nervous! I am taking it to another mechanic today for a 2nd opinion. Will try to get a decent pic to add to this thread.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

I am a certified mechanic, that being said my best advice with out seeing it myself would be to bring it somewhere else and get another opinion from a reputable mechanic. Sounds like some smoke blowing going on. Some of those issues could be legitimate problems, but I'm not liking the story already. And please post a pic of this cross member.

Good luck
Mike
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

And I'm sure you know this, but don't give the next shop any leading info.
mgerardt
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mgerardt »

Appreciate all the input so far. Here's a pic of the crossmember degeneration (my term, so blame me rather than the mechanic). [smilie=666.gif]
Attachments
crossmember.JPG
crossmember.JPG (33.45 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
mgerardt
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mgerardt »

Here's where things stand today. 2nd mechanic also says crossmember needs to be replaced and also the Tie Rod End on passenger side, but they saw no Turbo leak and thought all the struts probably should be replaced, but not imminently. Only thing they added to the mix was that the coolant hose needs to be replaced.

Seller is big believer in the power of welding and has told me that although he is willing to replace the crossmember free of labor charges, he thinks welding metal around the existing crossmember will 1) create an even stronger structure, and 2) cost me a whole lot less money since he only expects me to pay for the right metal to use for the job.

To complicate matters (or maybe make this more interesting for all of you), I have to be in Nofolk VA this weekend and plan to take the Chinatown bus from NYC. Seller says he is sure the Scooby will be fine to drive to Norfolk and back and promises if I break down he will bring his trailer to pick me up (yes, I know I am naive…i'm working on it). I'm anxious b/c I think if I had an accident at high speed (even in a Subaru), I'd be in some trouble given the state of the crossmember.

I trust the folks on this forum way more than I trust the seller or either of the 2 mechanics I've seen so far. Hope you'll continue to advise me on my Scooby issues.

Gratefully yours,
mgerardt
mgerardt
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mgerardt »

Scooby-ites,

Any opinions out there about welding a crossmember instead of replacing it? Could welding be a reasonable alternative, or is there no way around replacing that crossmember?

Thanks (again & again…)
mowillie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mowillie »

This has been stated, but did you tell the 2nd repair shop what to look at, or just ask to give it a once-over?
Also, that tight wheel turn knocking could also be the center diff. Thrr is another post just below yours about it. Good luck and go for a third opinion.
mgerardt
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mgerardt »

2nd mechanic did get leading info since he's had a long term repair relationship w/my pal's Volvo.

So I took Scooby back to seller today who claims the welding will be adequate. He's gonna replace the tie rod and coolant hose and will do the best possible alignment he can and will try to get OEM parts as cheaply as possible. His resolution seems reasonable to me so I will hope and chant for the best.