Electrical/total shut down

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

JohnnySoSo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Electrical/total shut down

Post by JohnnySoSo »

Hi! I'm new to Scooby, so please forgive if this is a topic that has already been covered.

My counterpart has an '03 Baja, and the dashboard lights (speedometer, tachometer, fuel, gear indicator, etc.) have been near non-existent as of late. So, she obtained the lights, and we started dismantling the dash. We got to the gauge cluster, and were able to easily take it out. We replaced the four bigger bulbs, then re-assembled everything. About 10 miles later, the brakes started grabbing funny, then that issue stopped, but then the power to move forward waned dramatically, next went power steering, and then the entire vehicle shut down completely and the keys remained locked in the ignition.

My theory is that the Baja's computer said, "you can't mess around back there (behind the speedometer cluster), we're gonna lock this whole system down out of fear that you are trying to steal me from my ridiculously awesome owner."

Am I on the right track? Is there any way to fix this problem on our own? If not, what is the bill going to look like from the mechanic? Any and all thoughts are more than welcome, thank you in advance!
-John
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Electrical/total shut down

Post by mikenmel08 »

You should not have messed anything up doing what you did. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if that helps.
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

I don't think there is anyway that removing the cluster would cause those other problems. There is something else going on in your electrical system. Have there been any modifications? Remote starter, new radio, new lights? If so, I would look at where the tied into the stock harness.

Have the battery and alternator checked, Simpson/advanced auto will do this for free, but some of their techs are less competent than others.

If neither of the above ideas are the problem, the next thing I would do is look for a bad ground. A single loose ground can cause weird issues in the other electrical systems.
JohnnySoSo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JohnnySoSo »

Thank you hocrest and mikenmel08.

I just got word that the mechanic just needed to plug into the car and then give it a jump. The dash is still showing no signs of life though. I'm wondering if this actually fixed the problem. I'm thinking there might be a need for a new battery, and/or a new alternator. I'll take a look at the dash again this weekend to see if everything is plugged in appropriately. I'll also give an update things get cleared up. Thanks again!

-John