Stereo removal

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Stereo removal

Post by jaxed »

Anybody have a link to the docs to remove the stock stereo in a Baja?  Or anybody that knows how to do this?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Re: Stereo removal

Post by mbaksic »

I took the radio out of mine and replaced it with a 6disc that I bought on e-bay. I'm trying to remember how I did it. I didn't have any directions, but I have had enough dashes apart at work that I figured it out. I did put some scratches in my shift plate, the radio has VERY sharpe edges. :'( Let me look at it in the daylight. That probably won't be until Saturday. If nobody comes up with directions by then, I will look mine over good and send you a note here on the forum.  ;D  Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

[quote author=mbaksic link=board=tech;num=1104788367;start=0#1 date=01/04/05 at 20:39:35]I took the radio out of mine and replaced it with a 6disc that I bought on e-bay. [/quote]<br><br>This is what I was thinking of doing.  What years of subaru 6 disc changer do I need to look for on eBay?  I see a few for sale...  but I would like it to just plug in and work from the get go without me having to rewire anything.
03ClassicYellow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by 03ClassicYellow »

mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I bought a AM/FM/Weatherband/6-Disc from some guy on e-bay back in June. He was getting $150.00 for them as a "Buy it Now" auction. He had a ton of them. I don't know where he got them from. It had a production date on 11/02 on it. It replaced the stock radio, and took the place of one of the dash cubbies, because it is a double DIN radio. It plays fine. I'm not into sat. radio, when I can listen to music for free. Haven't had a problem with it. It plays CDs even when it 0 outside. Says Subaru on the front, if that means anything. I'll take a look and see if they come up again.  He claims that they work on any Suby from 94 to present. ;D   Mike
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Ok JaXed,  I took a look at mine, and its like the instructions posted for the sport bar lights. Work the shifter bezel off carefully with a small screwdriver. Make sure the P. Brake is on. Then, remove the ashtray. The 2 screws that face up towords the radio are a b---h to get out, you will probably drop them into the console like I did, then have to get them out with a magnet. Then the radio/cluster right side bezel will come off. The radio is now exposed. If I remember correctly, you have to take the shock alarm sensor out off  of the right side of the radio can before you can pull the radio. Then you have to work the climate control head loose. Be careful, as there isn't alot of play in the cables, and it is easy to break something off. Then I removed the radio can with the two compartments all as one assembly. Be careful, DO NOT let the radio can sit on the shifter plate. I did and it has a VERY sharpe edge on it and scratched the shifter plate. :o I think that that is the correct procedure, I made it up as I went along. I have done lots of dash work on cars at the dealership in the past, so it wasn't too hard to figure out. But there is always the chance of messing something up (like scratching my shifter bezel), or breaking off something on the A/C head. If you need anymore info, let me know. If nothing else, I can pull my bezel and take a look. Good Luck!!  Mike   ;D