DIY bike rack

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

DIY bike rack

Post by jaxed »

Ok, here is my first shot at the DIY bike rack -

I bought a "Performance" truck bike rack off ebay on the cheap and learned that the universal truck bike rack is not so on the Baja (as I half-expected). But I knew that I could use the fork mounts at least on a homebuilt. So I did.

I cut a 2x4 to 45.25 inches, enough to fit in the "knotched-out" areas on the bed of the Baja. I then drilled holes for the fork mounts.

Next, I bolted the two fork mounts to the 2x4, using big washers.

I then screwed in two "screw eyes" to the 2x4, to attach bungy cords -

It mounts up like so

Image<br><br>Image<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Last edited by jaxed on Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

:( i cant see the last pic... repost it please!
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

fixed... I should prbably note that I am going to change this up a little bit.. It can bounce a bit when going over bumps. I will need to add another support somehow.. I will post when I figure it out.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

sweet thanks for the idea
todd cole
Scoobytruck Lurker

ride height

Post by todd cole »

Is the height of your truck stock?
jaxed

Re: ride height

Post by jaxed »

todd cole wrote:Is the height of your truck stock?
Yes. The '05's are a bit higher than the '03-'04 ...
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

i made mine today! i can take pics wednesday when it is light and my bike is back from the shop... thx for the idea! mine is pretty much the exact same as yours except it only has one bike holder (in the middle) but the great thing about making your own is that you can always add more! pretty sure i will end up with three before the summer is over! [smilie=madking.gif] [smilie=thatworks.gif]
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

cliffhanger wrote:i made mine today! i can take pics wednesday when it is light and my bike is back from the shop... thx for the idea! mine is pretty much the exact same as yours except it only has one bike holder (in the middle) but the great thing about making your own is that you can always add more! pretty sure i will end up with three before the summer is over! [smilie=madking.gif] [smilie=thatworks.gif]
Hey, shouldn't I get some royalties or something? heh.. Make sure you post yer pics! [smilie=coolup.gif]
Grimm
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Grimm »

I did the same type of setup for bikes as well, the only thing I did that was a little different from what your set up was to paint the wood black so it would match the bed area.

The other thing I noticed is that if you use the bed extender, the wheel base of my mountainbike is a few inches to long, so I have to have the bike sitting slightly sideways. My road bike fits perfectly though.
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

Grimm wrote:I did the same type of setup for bikes as well, the only thing I did that was a little different from what your set up was to paint the wood black so it would match the bed area.
I was going to do that as well. The 2x4 looks kinda trashy back there as it is. ;)
BajaJP
Scoobytruck Lurker

Rack Improvement

Post by BajaJP »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, been lurking but just got around to registering. Anyway, I just wanted to comment that I've got a solution to the bounce issue. I made a rack similar to these but instead of using a bungey cord to hold it down, I used a turnbuckle connected to a u-bolt. A turnbuckle is that thing you see used in rigging that looks like two eye hooks screwed into rectangular piece of metal. Anyway, the two eye hooks are reverse threaded so you can rotate the center piece and tighten the whole thing down.

make sure you get a turnbuckle with a closed eye hook on one end and an open hook on the other. Thread the closed end onto the u-bolt and connect it to the 2x4, then you can just slip the hook over the tie down in the bed and tighten it up. You do have to make sure the spacing of the u-bolt is within the turnbuckle's range of expansion. It's very secure. I suppose it would have been easier just to post a pic than to describe it, I'll try to remember to post one.

good luck
JP
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

BajaJP: Excellent idea! Where might I find this "turnbuckle" you speak of?
BajaJP
Scoobytruck Lurker

Turnbuckle

Post by BajaJP »

HomeDepot, Lowes, any hardware store will have them, in the same aisle as screws and bolts. The u-bolts should be right next to them.

Jp
jaxed

Re: Turnbuckle

Post by jaxed »

BajaJP wrote:HomeDepot, Lowes, any hardware store will have them, in the same aisle as screws and bolts. The u-bolts should be right next to them.

Jp
I found a pair at Ace.

I feel ashamed that after 30 years of life I have never really seen one of these things before. This is the perfect use for a turnbuckle. Pics forthcoming.
BajaBear
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaBear »

Here's an interesting DIY bike rack. Cool grill guard mod too.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/498261