Air Conditioner Not Cold, recharged fine

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Air Conditioner Not Cold, recharged fine

Post by davecoon13 »

Today was 67°F here in the DC area, so when the sun was shining on me while driving on the Interstate, I was getting kinda hot. I cranked up the AC and it was not cold at all. I went to K-Mart since there was one nearby, and bought a Refrigerant Fill Kit for $25 (Can of R-134a Refrigerant with leak stop and reusable Filler Hose/Gauge). The Refrigerant pressure was very low. I am wondering if I have a leak? It was blowing cold when I finished recharging it, but I wonder how long before I have to refill it again? It is just so expensive around here to have any AC work done. Most places want $200 just to recharge the AC, which I did for $20, and now that I have the hose, I can buy another can for $12. Should I leave the AC dial set on OFF when not in use, or will that make a difference?

Last season, my AC was not cold and I took it to the shop and it was over $200 to have it recharged, but they said they did not detect any leaks at that time. Then it blew cold the rest of the season.

Is this just par for the course with an 8 year old vehicle?
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
Ahzlon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Air Conditioner Not Cold, recharged fine

Post by Ahzlon »

I have had the same thing happen with my 06. A/C never really blows really cold and the heater never blows really hot like my Imprezas have. Not sure if it's something to do with it's the same as the Legacy set-up which I have heard doesn't have as much kick as the Forester/Impreza set up. Not sure what the difference is between the 2 are but I can definitely tell you that there is a difference between them.
bio_baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bio_baja »

Sacramento hit the mid 70's today and when I turned on the AC it was just blowing air. Went to my local auto part store and they told me to buy one of the cans with the gage and hose, but I have not clue as to where to plug it into :?: Any help will be greatly appreciated.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Look for a blue cap with an "H" on it on an aluminum tube near the front of the engine on the right side as you are looking towards the engine. There are 2 caps, one with L and one with H. The one with the H, closer to the front. Unscrew the blue cap (by hand, should be finger tight only).

Just make sure the AC is running full blast once the hose is hooked up. Follow the directions on the can.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
bio_baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bio_baja »

Thank you! I will try this tonight after work :)

Carlos
redhotbaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by redhotbaja »

Had the exact problem with mine, first hot day, no AC. I recharged it and now it works fine. However the can i had said to unscrew the low pressure cap with the L on it, not the H.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

redhotbaja wrote:Had the exact problem with mine, first hot day, no AC. I recharged it and now it works fine. However the can i had said to unscrew the low pressure cap with the L on it, not the H.
Maybe I got it backwards, whichever cap was closest to the front is the one I unscrewed.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
bio_baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bio_baja »

The can that I used also said to use the "L" valve. The can hose would not fit on the "H" valve anyway, so I used the "L" valve. My baja has a cool cabin now. Just in time for the 100-113 F summer days here in Sacramento :D

Carlos
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Yes, I was confused, it is the L or Low Side. I apoligize for my mistake. I added another can with leak sealer last week and it is still holding up. Even if I add one can a month, it is stil cheaper than having it serviced legitimately.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT